What temperature should I ferment rc212 at?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edd1001

Junior
Reaction score
Making a Finer Wine Forte Zinfandel kit, and I have a heated/cooled fermentation freezer. The kit instructions say to keep it up above 68. RC212 says 64-86. These are all fairly wide ranges. What would be a good number to set my inkbird thermostat at?

Making a Finer Wine Forte Zinfandel kit, and I have a heated/cooled fermentation freezer. The kit instructions say to keep it up above 68. RC212 says 64-86. These are all fairly wide ranges. What would be a good number to set my inkbird thermostat at?

The folklore I’ve heard is that reds are better (?) at higher temperatures, but also that lower temperatures preserve more of the fruity aromatics. It’s all about what you prefer in a style. If in doubt, pick somewhere in the middle. You should keep some distance away from the maximum as the fermentation itself will generate a small amount of heat. How much depends on the yeast.

I've started RC-212 at 63 F (17 C) and it fermented fine. As Bob said, cooler preserves fruit, which you may want in a Zin, so going colder may work best for you. If you have no idea what you want, go with 68 F.

Note that kit instructions are targeted at beginners who have no experienced help, with the intention to ensure the budding winemaker has a good result on the first wine, and on every wine. So the instructions err on the side of caution.

I contacted label peelers, and they said 68 is the minimum, though they recommend the same they would for all reds 70-85F.

Funny coming from beer brewing, the max range someone would suggest for a given yeast/recipe is typically 5F at most. Wine making seems much more chill in this regard.

I prefer bolder wines, so it seems like I should go higher? Maybe 75F?

I also only have two inches of headspace so also have to be careful if it's too high I don't overflow.

I contacted label peelers, and they said 68 is the minimum, though they recommend the same they would for all reds 70-85F.
Their advice is good, but also view them in the same way you'd view a kit vendor -- LP has a vested interest in you having a good result, so their advice will be "safe".

Hmmm, what temp is my wine room today? Guess that's good enough.
Ditto. I ferment in my cellar, and in the fall that's 62 to 68 F. I make an overnight starter, and since I've been doing that, the ferment takes off quickly.

Funny coming from beer brewing, the max range someone would suggest for a given yeast/recipe is typically 5F at most. Wine making seems much more chill in this regard.
Wine making and beer making have yeast in common. Everything else is different.

I prefer bolder wines, so it seems like I should go higher? Maybe 75F?
You're making a Forte kit with 2 skin packs. Follow the 14 cycle in the manual. You will get a heavy duty red, regardless of temperature.

I also only have two inches of headspace so also have to be careful if it's too high I don't overflow.
Are you fermenting in a carboy or bucket? Carboys limit O2 which yeast needs for reproduction, and besides, 2" in a carboy pretty much guarantees a mini-volcano.

2" in a bucket is a bad idea, as when the cap rises it is very likely to overflow. The primary should be no more than 3/4 full to avoid overflow.

Their advice is good, but also view them in the same way you'd view a kit vendor -- LP has a vested interest in you having a good result, so their advice will be "safe".

Ditto. I ferment in my cellar, and in the fall that's 62 to 68 F. I make an overnight starter, and since I've been doing that, the ferment takes off quickly.

Wine making and beer making have yeast in common. Everything else is different.

You're making a Forte kit with 2 skin packs. Follow the 14 cycle in the manual. You will get a heavy duty red, regardless of temperature.

Are you fermenting in a carboy or bucket? Carboys limit O2 which yeast needs for reproduction, and besides, 2" in a carboy pretty much guarantees a mini-volcano.

2" in a bucket is a bad idea, as when the cap rises it is very likely to overflow. The primary should be no more than 3/4 full to avoid overflow.

It's in the vinters best 7.9 gallon bucket that label peelers recommended. The level is probably slightly higher than it would normally be though because I weighed down the skins.

I read somewhere (of course I can't lay my hands on it right now!) that the temperature range on the yeast spec's are recommended for the best performance of the yeast. The specifications are typically set by the manufacturer and all other information supports those spec's. I would expect that all kit manufacturers do the same.

I have a similar set up for controlling temperature of my ferments. I have found that controlling the >must< temperature to within +/- ~ 2*F, produces a repeatable result. The red's fermented with RC212 at a lower temperature, no higher than 69*F produces a fruiter tasting wine with more aromas. When fermenting in the 72*F to 75*F range, some of the fruiter tastes and nice aromas are reduced. I (actually we, my wife and I) don't like the result when wines are fermented above 78*F. So, for what it's worth and in my opinion, keep the ferment around 68*F. It will make good wine.

I made the same FWK about 9 months ago. It was fermented at 68*F. When I pulled the cork, the aroma of the wine filled the room. The wine was good, but needs another 4 to 6 months of aging. I hope this helps. Good luck.

I ferment in my Michigan walkout basement and the temp is pretty steady in the 64-68F range year round.....and have used RC212 many times with Excellent results.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back