I feel like a traitor.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
I feel like a traitor to my winemaking today. I have spent most of today firing up my new Primo XL kamado type smoker/grill. Cured it at about 500f for an hour then backed it down to 225 with a pork butt. Started about 9am, took about 45 minutes to get above 500f then took two and a half hours to get back down to 225f, it's been there all afternoon. Can a man (woman) really have more than one obsessions? I did the clearing steps on my MMM Chard de Vineto, that counts for something.

primo.jpg

tonyt said:
I feel like a traitor to my winemaking today. I have spent most of today firing up my new Primo XL kamado type smoker/grill. Cured it at about 500f for an hour then backed it down to 225 with a pork butt. Started about 9am, took about 45 minutes to get above 500f then took two and a half hours to get back down to 225f, it's been there all afternoon. Can a man (woman) really have more than one obsessions? I did the clearing steps on my MMM Chard de Vineto, that counts for something.

Sweet! Wish it wasn't cold and snowy here it fire up mine too. Wine and BBQ what more could anyone ask for!

We grill at our house all year round. I did a rack of ribs on the grill in the snow last week. BBQ is just too good to wait until it warms up. I want some of that pork butt!

Sorry Dan, even when we lived in MI we barbequed all winter long. A steak or a burger is not the same cooked in the house.

Forever Have run the BBQ or smoker year round...snow or no snow. Even BBQ'd in the snow on July 4th (no joke). Living in Cheyenne WY at the time and we had a snot (snot quite snow) storm on the 4th of July but that was many many moons ago.... before Global Warming.:sm

Looking good Tony. Where did you pick that bad boy up? I am looking at one at Costco. These are Chinese knockoffs of the Big Green Egg which cost ~ $1000. Only $550 at Costco for the knockoff. I have a friend that has one and its pretty amazing.

Sammyk said:
Sorry Dan, even when we lived in MI we barbequed all winter long. A steak or a burger is not the same cooked in the house.

Yeah, I wish
I used to BBQ in my carport but after melting the side of it I decided rather than burn or melt the whole place I'd opt for having a small BBQ in my fireplace and grill stuff there once in a while. It's just a bit of a hassle.

Tony thats pretty cool. Is it charcoal?
Yes Dan. One load (half bag) will last for one or two "low and slow" cooks or four or five "hot and fast". I add wood chips or chunks for smoke. Cooked a pork butt for 8 hours after curing the ceramic for an hour at 550. Still have at least half of the first load of charcoal. It only made about a tea cup of ash.

Last edited:
Looking good Tony. Where did you pick that bad boy up? I am looking at one at Costco. These are Chinese knockoffs of the Big Green Egg which cost ~ $1000. Only $550 at Costco for the knockoff. I have a friend that has one and its pretty amazing.
Mike, I got it at a local hardware that priced it about 20% below msrp. I had a 10% off anything on top of that. I researched for about 8 months on forums, manufactures web sites, word of mouth before settling on the Primo XL. Kamado Joe "Big Joe" was my second choice. A lot of folks on the Kamado users forum like the one at Costco. Check it out. http://kamadoguru.com/index.php

Last edited:
I absolutely wont cook a burg or steak inside!!!! Im pretty sure thats illegal!

Latest posts

Back