Cillean Crush / holiday weekend

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have not been able to post much over the long weekend because all I had was a cell phone. I hate that stupid tiny keyboard.

So here is how it went..

We have been trying to crush some Chilean grapes for the last 4 weekends or so. For whatever reason, the grapes were delayed in coming in. By last Friday morning, the status of the grapes was that they just cleared customs. I called Corrado's again in the evening and found out that the grapes had arrived and will be ready for pick up on Saturday morning. WAAAAAAHOOOO!

We borrowed my brother's white van and headed out to Corrado's. Got there shortly after they opened up. As I walked in, my cell phone rang. It was Corrado's calling to tell me the grapes were in. The person making the call was about 2 feet from where I was standing. We had a good laugh about that.

While they loaded us, we took a nice side trip to the market. We loaded up on nice baguettes, olives (stuffed with blue cheese or provolone), A couple of nice salamis, assorted cheeses, and some fantastic pastries.
By the time we got back, we were all loaded up and ready to go. Made it back to the house by 10am. I just love it when it all goes off like clockwork.

I was amazed by the price. $24 a half-lug is the cheapest I have ever seen on Chilean Grapes. The "field sorting" (removal of leaves and other non-grape material) was not as good as last year, but only by a little. There was no noticeable mold on the grapes and the fruit was nice and firm.

One thing of note. Those Grapes were COLD, perhaps because we picked them up early and they did not have a chance to sit around.

We began sorting and crushing grapes as soon as we got back. We processed all 62 half-lugs by noon. Again, it ran like clock work.

By 1:30 we had everything cleaned up and put away. We opened some of the good stuff and sat down to a burger/hot dog cook out. Things broke up around 7 or 8pm.

On Sunday, I punched down twice. The temp of the must was finally above 60 degrees and I pitch the yeast. we had a true BBQ cookout. I made Ribs, Brisket, Smoked Sausage, Potato Salad, and a Pasta Salad. Folks arrived around 3pm and the party broke up around 9pm.

On Monday, after punching down, I took my niece (she was staying with us for the weekend) to see the new Avengers movie. I had not been to the movies in years and was shocked to see a theater full of recliners! These chairs were more comfortable then anything I had at home. My Niece and I made a pact to "Nudge" if one of us falls asleep.

After the movie, my brother called and offered to pick up my niece. In return, I promised to feed him.

I made up a quick bruschetta with basil from my deck (the basil plants needed pruning) and had a felt over red bell pepper that I roasted on the grill, peeled, and marinated in balsamic vinegar. Sliced up some fresh mutz and served with thin slices of baguette. Both appetizers paired well with our 2014 Chilean cab. YUM.

For dinner, we had London broil, oven roasted potatoes, and sautéed mushrooms. Everything turned out well. Even my niece, who hardly eats, was a member of the clean plate club. Things broke up around 5pm and by 7pm I had the house and dishes all clean. For about 1 hour I simply sat out on the deck, listened to the birds chirp, and sipped away the "leftover" wine. I hate to leave a half empty bottle. I Hungary, I think that they burn you at the stake for such an offense.

While I was sipping, The weekend caught up with me. I was sound asleep by 8pm.

Sorry for the long post. I feel that I made the most of a beautiful weekend and hope you folks did the same. Here are some pictures...

Pic #1 is my and my brother sorting grapes.
Pic #2 is one of my primaries just after pitching yeast.

IMG952015052395113354528.jpg

IMG_20150524_204708_103.jpg

Latest posts

Back