I am a computer geek in this forum.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the dancing TAZ and the dancing Banana. Absolutely cracks me up. LOL.

How long of a screw do you need :) LOLOLOLOLOLL Old would indicate short, BTW I am a carpenter by trade I have all kindas of wood screws

i am not trying to compete either I just wanted to add I am will also. I have a student copy of XP 64 that is legal to load on several machine but XP 64 is a pain in *** to getting working correct but when you do it is sweet.I can burn an ISO and send serial if you like. I cant give out beta copies of MS because I have a sweet deal with MS doing beta test and dont want to mess it up. I have alot of Pirate copies of XP but I dont put those on machines going out because they will be back with Windows isn't Genuine nag

My buddy just brought me his HP laptop and it was froze up, couldn't even get in through safe mode. He got impatient and he could have got the recovery disk from HP for like 20 skins, instead he took it to the geek shop, now its gonna cost him a few hundred.

I could have hooked him up, I want to feel bad, but it wasn't my impatience that costed him the money!

Now, when he has it reloaded with windows at least I can show him how to keep it organized and show him how to back it up.

I guess making our own wine isn't the only way welearn things the hard way!

Troy
:tz:db
(these dancing emoticons really crack me the flip up!)

Sorry Mike, I have built a couple houses and additions, but nobody is gonna get screws in here if they first don't learn how to pound a nail! (Oh God, there I go!!!) LMFAO now, better make these sort of jokes now before Allie catches us! Now I am really LMAO hiding under the couch with my cats.
Troy

Last edited:
I appologize fellas, ladies. I have been known to get a little out of hand. As Mike said sometimes I am afraid of getting a DUI with the hard drive. LOL

Been a rough couple months, didn't mean to take it out on you all. I didn't come in here tonight to harass all yall. Always good to share your company.

Troy
:tz:db

Watch it Wolf, you could be next, don't even get me going on the way they have treated the wolves here! I may never stop!LOL

Troy:d

LMAO..so are you saying they are killing off too many or are the wolves a nuisance and they are protecting them. In the lower 48 the are a menace to the farmers. Around here the coyote's are an issue.

Hey Troy, no foul. :) Just a fun poke in the ribs and you are correct. Anyone would be a fool to live in a swamp. I can't stress enough, first chance I get I am heading back north to God's Country. While the food is absolutely fantastic around here and would be the only thing I would miss, I can cook pretty good myself.

I lived in Pitkin, Louisiana and Fairbanks, Alaska I think you may be crazy smurfe but it might not have anything to do with where you live but Fairbank is F&#$ing cold and you have to be crazy to live there. And when its not cold the dam sun doesn't go away

I am too old and tired to help much, but I, like many, have many years experience working with and on these darned contraptions. My first modem was a 300 baud per second model. Can anyone beat that?
Cheers...

I am too old and tired to help much, but I, like many, have many years experience working with and on these darned contraptions. My first modem was a 300 baud per second model. Can anyone beat that?
Cheers...
No, but I'll match you a 300 bps external modem, and raise you an external floppy drive for 5 1/4" disks that held a whopping 1 Kb of storage, and cost $400.... :<

I lived in Pitkin, Louisiana and Fairbanks, Alaska I think you may be crazy smurfe but it might not have anything to do with where you live but Fairbank is F&#$ing cold and you have to be crazy to live there. And when its not cold the dam sun doesn't go away

Oh I ain't going to Alaska. I want to get back to where there are 4 seasons though. I am from Illinois originally. Don't know if I want to go back there or not. I have always been very partial to New England. Particularly Vermont and New Hampshire.

Cheers...

I am not sure. I had a computer before the 300 baud modem. I am trying to remember what it was. I got it at Radio Shack. It was a keyboard you hooked up to your TV and had cables that hooked to a cassette recorder. It had cassette tapes for the processor. You had to type in Basic language to use the thing. My first PC was a Packard Bell 286 Processor with the 300 baud dial up. Back in those days you didn't have the Internet available, you had local Bulletin Boards you dialed in to. I had Windows 3.0 but most everything was in DOS. I have been on the Internet since the day AOL came on line.

...My first PC was a Packard Bell 286 Processor with the 300 baud dial up. Back in those days you didn't have the Internet available, you had local Bulletin Boards you dialed in to. I had Windows 3.0 but most everything was in DOS. I have been on the Internet since the day AOL came on line.
When I went "on-line" in the early 80's, I was on an Atari 400. There was no decent terminal emulation software, so a fellow and I collaborated and upgraded the code from TinyTerm to what we called NewTerm. My first experience with an on-line service was Prodigy...until I got my first bill! :<
When I got my first IBM PC in '88, I started running my own BBS, still under DOS.
I resisted going to Windows until Win 3.11 came out. Hated it! I gave up and went to Win95 about 6-8 months after it came out.
I still miss DOS! I have a recipe program that runs in DOS, and on a new machine, it can search 60,000 recipes in about .2 seconds (point-2)!
I still curse Windows, but I don't feel like learning a new OS.

This thread is full of memories for me. I learned computers on a 360/75 at University. First paying job was on a 360/30. JCL, PLI, COBOL, RPG. All sorts of acronyms.

First computer I bought was an Atari 800XL. My Dad had a home computer before me but I can't remember what it was. 300baud, BBSes, Compuserve.

Not sure that they are all GOOD memories, but memories none the less.

When I had the store (closed Sept 2007), I used a DOS script to back up certain files nightly to a thumb drive to take home for backup. What a combination of old and new.

Steve

I am not sure. I had a computer before the 300 baud modem. I am trying to remember what it was. I got it at Radio Shack. It was a keyboard you hooked up to your TV and had cables that hooked to a cassette recorder. It had cassette tapes for the processor. You had to type in Basic language to use the thing. My first PC was a Packard Bell 286 Processor with the 300 baud dial up. Back in those days you didn't have the Internet available, you had local Bulletin Boards you dialed in to. I had Windows 3.0 but most everything was in DOS. I have been on the Internet since the day AOL came on line.

Smurf, I had one like that. It was called a vic 20. Than they upgraded to an awesome computer called the commodore 64.

No, but I'll match you a 300 bps external modem, and raise you an external floppy drive for 5 1/4" disks that held a whopping 1 Kb of storage, and cost $400.... :<

Oh yeah... two 5-1/4" floppies and no hard drive... remember the 8" floppies? And it really wasn't that long ago...

Oh yeah... two 5-1/4" floppies and no hard drive... remember the 8" floppies? And it really wasn't that long ago...

Remember machine language? We had to write programs back then... very few good ones available.

Latest posts

Back