Greetings, from Nashville.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTaylor

Reaction score
Hello community,

Brand new oenologist here. Well, I'm brand new anyway. Not too sure about the oenologist part. :) I'm going to go ahead and apologize up front for the numerous questions I have or may have in the future. There is just so much to learn about the wine making process! The yearning to learn every single aspect of it is what makes this an appealing hobby for me...and the fact that I will have a steady supply of good, cheap wine made by moi.

Looking through the forums I can see there is a lot of knowledge here. With your help, I hope to become a knowledgeable and contributing member. In the meantime, I'll try to use Google and the search feature before bombarding you with questions.

A little bit about myself:

Information technology is my second passion. I graduated with a telecommunications degree last may and moved to Nashville for a job. Client technical support wasn't what I had envisioned for myself, but it's a start. One day I hope to move towards a more security related position. I'm getting a few certifications under my belt, so hopefully that will help. If you need any computer related help just ask and I'll be glad to assist, unless you're an apple person or a family member. (If you're the computer guy in the family then you know where I'm coming from with the family member part.)

Apart from that I fish, grill, enjoy good beer, and express my right to bear arms. :gb Sometimes, all at the same time.

My first question. For those of you who work for or own a vineyard. What's the best way to get your foot in the door? Harvesting? Cleaning barrels? I think a part time job this summer would be a great learning experience. Plus, I sit at a desk all day. I need to get my hands dirty.

Welcome to the forum MrTaylor. There's a ton of information right here without even asking questions. But feel free to ask away. I can't help you with the vineyard work but there are several here who can probably point you in the right direction. Good Luck.

1st welcome!

Now you need to like making wine before you even think about making a vineyard.

We do have some membeers who have vineyards and even some who have wineries.

Since you are new to making wine I suggest you get your feet wet by 1st making some good (high end) kits and see if you want to go to the next step. Next step would be making wine from grapes.

Only then would I suggest a vineyard. Remember that a vine needs at least 3 years before producing good grape harvest.

Oh no, not looking to start a vineyard. Just find work in one locally for the experience. I've already started my first batch using Vintner's Harvest elderberry base. The anticipation of the first batch is getting to me, so plan on starting a few more in the meantime.

First of all welcome! I don't own a vineyard(yet) or winery. But I can tell you at least around Il. if you show up to a winery or stop and chat with a vineyard owner volunteers are not usually turned away. Give it a try and see if you can't get a "they'll call when they need you job". Wineries seem to always need to be bottling some of their product thruout the year. When the big job is done a whole lot of learning can go on.

Welcome do some research in the area and find out where the wineries are and vineyard and do just like Racer suggested your sure to find someone that needs help. What part of the country do you originate from

First of all welcome! I don't own a vineyard(yet) or winery. But I can tell you at least around Il. if you show up to a winery or stop and chat with a vineyard owner volunteers are not usually turned away. Give it a try and see if you can't get a "they'll call when they need you job". Wineries seem to always need to be bottling some of their product thruout the year. When the big job is done a whole lot of learning can go on.

Good point. I wouldn't mind donating some of my time for an exchange of knowledge.

And jtstar, I'm in Nashville, TN. There are a few wineries around here.

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Welcome aboard. You're starting one of the greatest hobbies that you can pass on down to your children. Have fun and feel free to ask questions.

Good point. I wouldn't mind donating some of my time for an exchange of knowledge.

And jtstar, I'm in Nashville, TN. There are a few wineries around here.

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

The misses and myself will be down your way at the end of June our kids live over by Memphis

Welcome to the forum!! I'm new also, and can say that the people her have a lot of knowledge they are willing to share.

After you make your first batch (You said Vintners harvest elderberry base) and you rack out of the primary, save the lees and make a batch of Skeeter Pee. We just bottled our first batch and it's awesome!

The misses and myself will be down your way at the end of June our kids live over by Memphis

Ah, you're going to miss out on Memphis in May. Have fun on your trip! Be sure to check out Beale St. Even if you don't listen to Blues or country you'll still be able to appreciate the atmosphere.

Hope you enjoy your visit to our area. If free on a Sunday afternoon, you may want to check out Old Millington Winery near Millington. They have live music from around 3-6 each Sunday in the Summer. If not it is still worth the Visit. Perry is a nice guy. We also enjoy the wines from Century Farm Winery near Jackson, TN (right off I-40 on Lower Brownsville Rd.)

Hello community,

Brand new oenologist here. Well, I'm brand new anyway. Not too sure about the oenologist part. :) I'm going to go ahead and apologize up front for the numerous questions I have or may have in the future. There is just so much to learn about the wine making process! The yearning to learn every single aspect of it is what makes this an appealing hobby for me...and the fact that I will have a steady supply of good, cheap wine made by moi.

Looking through the forums I can see there is a lot of knowledge here. With your help, I hope to become a knowledgeable and contributing member. In the meantime, I'll try to use Google and the search feature before bombarding you with questions.

A little bit about myself:

Information technology is my second passion. I graduated with a telecommunications degree last may and moved to Nashville for a job. Client technical support wasn't what I had envisioned for myself, but it's a start. One day I hope to move towards a more security related position. I'm getting a few certifications under my belt, so hopefully that will help. If you need any computer related help just ask and I'll be glad to assist, unless you're an apple person or a family member. (If you're the computer guy in the family then you know where I'm coming from with the family member part.)

Apart from that I fish, grill, enjoy good beer, and express my right to bear arms. :gb Sometimes, all at the same time.

My first question. For those of you who work for or own a vineyard. What's the best way to get your foot in the door? Harvesting? Cleaning barrels? I think a part time job this summer would be a great learning experience. Plus, I sit at a desk all day. I need to get my hands dirty.

Welcome Aboard. Good to have another TN member on board!!!

Welcome to a great forum and hobby. I too like a good beer (homebrewed) and wine. Also the right to bear arms.

My wife and I spent time in Nashville recording both videos and an album back in 95. Great place to visit. Love the night life.

Latest posts

Back