How

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Reaction score
When you first started drinking wine regulary, did you work your way up from sweet wines to dry? Or did you just like dry wines right off the bat? Most wine makers or people who really enjoy wine, like dry wines much more. I've been drinking wine for a little over 3 years and I just can't get a good taste for dry wines. It is kind of frustrating because I would like to taste more dry wines when we go on tours and such. But, I don't even bother because I know I won't like them. :?

I got started drinking dry wines frist from my brother in law he has been making wine for serveral years but I also like a semi sweet wine now and then

Taste in wine is a highly personal thing. If you like it sweet then thats the way you like it, don't let others tell you that there is somthing wrong with that.
I also like sweet and semi sweet while my wife likes semi sweet to dry so I make some that she likes and some that I like and some we both like.;)

For me it all depends on when I'm drinking it. I like wine with meals dry, with the exception of off-dry Pinot Grigio with seafood.

With charred beef, I want a big, dry red.

I like sweeter, up to about 1010 when I'm just drinking wine, or when having light snacks.

An exception is my morning wine. Morning wine is usually very young, being sampled from buckets and carboys ;-)

I've always liked sweet wines but do like some dry but always want them to have abit more than normal alcohol, guys used to joke with me when I drank whiskey and eat candy they'd say how can you stand that, nothing better than a good glass of whiskey and a hunk of chocolate or big piece of peppermint......lol

The general trend I see for people drinking wine is to start with whites, usually sweetened, perhaps going a little drier on the whites,and then progressing to reds, usually sweetened a bit and then going drier again. For those making wine, this progression goes more quickly than those who just drink wine. In fact many who just drink don't follow this progression but stick with what they initially like. I still like some sweeter wines, but prefer dry reds on the whole.

I never cared for dry wines. I make my wine sweet and enjoy it. I don't feel I'm missing anything by not liking wine dry. To each their own.

Larry

I prefer sweet white wines. But I am trying at least one wine a week from all over the world to narrow down what I really like and dislike about wine. Funny this is I have been making wine for many years and just now begenning to like wine. Never been much of a drinker lol. But what I am finding out is I like semi sweet low alc wines.

Most wine makers or people who really enjoy wine, like dry wines much more.

Wrong !!!!

A lot of commercial wines which are now appreciated well are a tad sweet.
French refuse that and thats why they are loosing ground in sales volume all the time.

Winesnobs will tell you that French wines are the best and most people are buying other wines.
Do not mistake snobbism for taste ;)

I like my wines sweet, so does my girlfriend.

Luc

I think it also really depends on the fruit used. I like many grape wines feremnted dry, but when it comes to really fruity country wines, it seems that sugar is needed to get the flavors to pop out. For whatever reason, grapes don't seem to have this problem.

A very dry peach, cherry, or raspberry just doesn't do it for me.

Apple is another fruit that I can enjoy dry.

I love Port!!! Because it is a sweet wine with a higher ABV to balance the sweetness.

Other then that.... I prefer dry reds and slightly sweet whites. Think about it like this..... Since you are a winemaker you can have them exactly how YOU like them!!! how cool is that....

I think that this has been said several times before..

It is all a matter of taste. If you like sweet wines, then you like sweet wines. The important thing is that you were will to keep trying the dry wines.

I grew up on dry wines. Even as a kid I was allowed a very small glass with dinner. There are not many sweet wines that I like (although a good port is another matter).

Like other have said here, there are some comercial sweet wines that are considered as classics.

Hi..

Hi... every person has their own taste. Some like sweet wine while some loves dry wine. I started drinking wine 4 years ago and I also loves sweet wine. I don't like dry wine's taste and I never drink that. I mostly prefer to drink wine on weekends because I have to go to office on weekdays. I usually goes to the parties and pubs with my friends on weekends and enjoys a lot.

Latest posts

Back