How are you degassing your wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foursons

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

This is the way I have been degassing my wine. Simply mounted a drill onto the shelf and attached the whisker.

Its great because I dont have to sit there, holding on to the heavy drill.

I was curious to see what you guys use

Cheers

20140925_135217[1].jpg

I use splash racking attachment for the All-in-one.

When I did use the drill method, I would drill in one direction until a slight movement of the top of the wine was created. I would then reverse the drill until a slight movement in the reverse direction was created. This enhances cavitation behind the paddles/whips, that helps draw out the CO2. By minimizing the movement on the surface of the wine, you minimize O2 introduction into the wine.

However, I do not degas the wine until I am about to bottle. During primary fermentation, I degass or a minute by stirring daily with a slotted spatula. After that, I let the periodic racking and bulk aging take care of the CO2. That minimizes the need to splash rack at the end. The CO2 helps protect from oxidation during bulk aging.

Last edited:
In order of use:
I use the back end of my giant spoon when adding sorbate and K-meta at the end of fermentation. (usually switch between clock wise and and counter ever minute).

I splash rack with the AI1,

I also have piece of plastic hanger I attach to my hand drill. I whip the wine changing directions.

Let father time take care of it.

Or I pull a vacuum on a partially filled (or is it partially empty) carboy!

Use the drill whip then a Vacu Vin hand pump with many many pumps over the course of generally two days.

Well -
I am a bit bias - because I use the Allinonewinepump to degass every time I am doing a transfer.

If you start using it from the beginning - (primary) you will be degassed by the time you need to bottle. You are constantly at every racking removing CO2 -

If you start using it from the beginning - (primary) you will be degassed by the time you need to bottle. You are constantly at every racking removing CO2 -

Steve,
not to nit pick, but "by the time you need to bottle." is relative to the winemaker and the process they are following. Therefore it becomes arbitrary.

Where as someone making a kit (strictly following instructions) would rack 2 or 3 times at most before being instructed to bottle at the end of the pamphlet.

Others may follow the "rack every 3 months" and therefore rack 4 times a year, not counting primary, secondary etc....

That being said, the magic (and I do believe it is magic, not fancy gears or science) of the AI1, is that if you are on a short schedule and need to make space, you can always rack numerous times consecutively or in s short period, for the purposes of degassing, with out the fret of introducing that pesky oxygen to the process!

I think I prefer a degassing phase where you apply the vacuum and watch the bubbles until done. Couldn't the AIO be used in this manner or must the degassing be done through vacuum racking?

Elmer
Yes it was designed for the kit maker as well - after you rack around the 3rd time it is degassed. (All depending that you are degassing at the proper temperature)

Bkisel -
I prefer promoting the splash racking method as it is the simplest and most effective.
It is also the safest method - considering I am dealing with the public to make it the safest and easy to use.

Last edited:
I devised a neat little item last year that is the berries for degassing using a vacuum. I bought a hand held vacuum pump used for bleeding brake lines on a car. The little kit contains everything you need and costs under $20.00. I used one of the plastic fittings from the kit and pushed it into the hole in the rubber carboy bung that the airlock normally fits in. I then attached one end of the supplied 1/4" clear hose to the fitting and the other end to the hand vacuum pump. Stick the bung into the carboy and pump away!!

This thing will rapidly pull 25 inches of vacuum on a full carboy so be careful not to pump it up too high. It will also suck foam up into the hose if the carboy is topped up and has a lot of CO2.

It really works great. I can upload a couple photos if anyone is interested.

I devised a neat little item last year that is the berries for degassing using a vacuum. I bought a hand held vacuum pump used for bleeding brake lines on a car. The little kit contains everything you need and costs under $20.00. I used one of the plastic fittings from the kit and pushed it into the hole in the rubber carboy bung that the airlock normally fits in. I then attached one end of the supplied 1/4" clear hose to the fitting and the other end to the hand vacuum pump. Stick the bung into the carboy and pump away!!

This thing will rapidly pull 25 inches of vacuum on a full carboy so be careful not to pump it up too high. It will also suck foam up into the hose if the carboy is topped up and has a lot of CO2.

It really works great. I can upload a couple photos if anyone is interested.

About how many pumps over the course of how much time till you've fully degassed 6 gallons?

Thanks

First, every time I rack, I splash rack by putting the curved end of the racking cane in the carboy, thereby directing the wine to the side of the carboy. I finish with a brake bleeder.

I splash rack, then the conventional slow stir with a variable speed drill and finish with the brake bleeder!!

I generally rack back to the primary bucket and let it splash in. I then stir pretty aggressively with the drill attachment. Then rack back to the carboy and finish with the bleeder. You can usually tell when most of the CO2 is gone because the bubbles rising to the top will get bigger. I never counted the pumps but it generally takes less than 15 minutes.

I don't like to use the drill and attachment in the carboy. I have had some very spectacular wine volcanoes from releasing too much CO2 in a small space too fast.....and once those suckers start they keep going til they're done!

Back