How are you degassing your wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I devised a neat little item last year that is the berries for degassing using a vacuum. I bought a hand held vacuum pump used for bleeding brake lines on a car. The little kit contains everything you need and costs under $20.00. I used one of the plastic fittings from the kit and pushed it into the hole in the rubber carboy bung that the airlock normally fits in. I then attached one end of the supplied 1/4" clear hose to the fitting and the other end to the hand vacuum pump. Stick the bung into the carboy and pump away!!

This thing will rapidly pull 25 inches of vacuum on a full carboy so be careful not to pump it up too high. It will also suck foam up into the hose if the carboy is topped up and has a lot of CO2.

It really works great. I can upload a couple photos if anyone is interested.

Can you plz post some pictures,
and typically, how long do you have to pump for?

Thanks

Attached a pic. As I said...I don't count the pumps but it's a pretty simple procedure. The little gauge will let you know how much vacuum you have on the carboy.

000_1459.jpg

I've never seen a need to degas. I bottle about 8-9 months after starting a wine.

Back when I had a couple old vacuum pumps and used them to rack, I guess I automatically degassed with every rack.

yesterday on a whim, I took my ziploc brand vacuum pump (little blue, plastic, hand held thing)
I took a #7 bung placed it over my white niagara, placed the pump over the hole and started pumping.
the bubble raised from the dept of the jug in seconds.
Within a minute my arm got sore and started barking.
Then I remembered why I bought a AI1.
but it was worth a try just to see if it would work.
I would never do this to a 5 gallon carboy!

I've never done anything extra to degas. I rack every 3 (or 4 or 5) months for 8 to 12 months. With all this talk about degassing, I've arranged it so that some of the racking in the later stages involves pumping up from the floor to a carboy on the table with the AllInOne. This requires more vacuum that just going from one carboy to the other side by side and, therefore, should suck any lurking CO2 out. But before I got the AllInOne, 8 months or more under an airlock and 3 siphon rackings always produced wine without any CO2.

So far have only been doing WE kits and following the 5 week 'schedule'. Although I don't have an actual AI1, I use the same techniques. Before dosing with k-meta and sorbate and adding f-packs and clarifier, I splash rack four or five times (have a comfy chair and a flat screen in the 'winery'). I also use vacuum to pull it through a whole house filter before bottling.
My first few kits I tried the drill-mounted paddle stirrer. Spent a lot more time and didn't work nearly as well as the splash racking under vacuum.

Latest posts

Back