Here's a dumb question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanie

Reaction score
What color should strawberry wine be? I'm afraid mine might have oxidized or should it be kind of orange?

What stage are you at as these colors will change a few times while its clearing. It also depends on hw much fruit you put in there to begin with. It na range from your colr when clear if not as much fruit was added to a nice red color if lots of fruit were added.

Are you looking at it in the carboy or bottle? I could see it looking a bit on the orange side looking at it in bulk in a carboy. It really depends on the berries and if you juiced them or added them whole to the fermentation. I juiced strawberries in the steam juicer and it had a mild orange type tint when you looked at it in the carboy, It was lighter looking in the bottle.

I have heard strawberry wine being any from a nice red to clear. The color depends on the berries. I made a gallon of strawberry banana melomel and used 4 pounds of strawberries and 4 pounds of banana and the color is a very nice medium red and did not change even after I back sweetened. I am trying to let it clear on its own so perhaps it can keep that color as I have read that fining strawberry can strip the color.
VC

It looked redder in the carboy and now it's kinda orange in the bottle. It smells good and tastes good but it sure does look funny!

You aren't the first or the last that has had strawberry wine change colors joan. Like the guys say, it's the flavor that matters. you could always cheat and dye it red!

Make up a really exotic name for the strawberries you used, like "wild satsumaberry" and say it's their natural color.

Maybe - just maybe - you used the wrong soap when you told your strawberries to go take a bath:

20090830_195803_strawberry.jpg

and then they jumped in the bottle. . . . and lost some of their color

at least this is another explanation - - - for you

yeh right -

rrawhide

Color will vary from batch to batch. It all depends on how much color is in the strawberry. It can start what you think is red and when you bottle its a rose'

My experience is that orange is more typical of a finished strawberry wine than is red. I back sweetened my last with a strawberry concentrate used to make strawberry margaritas and the color became much redder. It is too early for me to make decision as to whether this is something I would recommend or not.

Quick question for you steam juicer winemakers: Do you use straight juice or cut with water? Bought a family member a Mehu Liisa and they are covered up with Concord grapes and want to make some wine along with all the jelly.

k-meta will leach color from strawberry wine VERY fast. It will turn it from a red to an orange color. I'd say no worries.

Ahhhhh! K-meta!!I'll bet that's what did it! I put that in the bottling bucket then siphoned into it!

Thanks everyone! I knew you would have all kinds of good advice for me! It's much appreciated!

I like to use more ascorbic acid and less sulfites with wines like these.

Sheesh, Wade! Why didn't you tell me?? I used to know stuff like that but apparently I forgot!

I am an ascorbic acid advocate with fruit wines especially lighter color wines.

Tony,

Wade will attest that ascorbic acid (otherwise known as Vitamin C) does for wine one of the same things it does for your body - it's a great anti-oxidant.

- Jim

It is a great anti-oxidant like Jim says but you can use it at any time as it does not hinder fermentation. When I make a batch of fruit wine I add my sulfite as always and same strength as always but then also add ascorbic acid to for extra protection. I also apply this on the fruit as Im cutting up fruit like apply as it can brown before you even start to make wine as you know from when you bite into an apple and leave it a few minutes.

Back