Hello from sunny Ireland.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr-robien

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm David, I'm new to making homemade wine! I've just placed a batch of plum wine in two demijohns, so we'll see how it all goes! :?

Just thought I would introduce myself, because I am doubtless that I will be asking lots of questions in this new endeavor!

See everyone around :)

David

Welcome, post your recipe for us to check out for you and try and solve any problems before they occur.

The Recipe

Thanks Wade, I used a bit of a mashed together recipe, let me know what you think....

1kg of Plums, 1.8kg Sugar, 500g of Sultanas, Pectinase Enzyme (3tsp), Citric Acid (1½ tsp), 2 Campden Tablets, Juice of 1 Lemon.

1kg of Tesco Value plums were used (rest frozen), and washed, cut into rather big chunks and mashed with a potato masher. I kept all skins on.

Washed out 25l Fermenting Bin/Demijohn with sterilizing solution.

Added fruit plus sultanas to bin and boiled 4l of water with 1kg of sugar in it to invert it and sterilize it.

Added to bin and stirred vigorously. Didn’t have citric acid until later, so I added the juice of one lemon. Left until cool. Added the pectinase, citric acid and 2 campden tablets.

Yeast --> Into one sterilised wine bottle put a good 1-2cm of sugar. Added boiling water until nearly full. Leave to cool to just being slightly warm. I then halved between two bottles and added some of the must to each. Added yeast nutrient. Left for a while.

I added the bottles to the primary fermenter and left for 5 days, fermentation was going very well.

Added to two demijohns with airlocks - and SG was 1.1... just leaving it to do it's business now. It's a peachy colour and is still lightly fermenting...

I'm rather unsure of how to proceed or when to proceed! Does anyone have any good advice or, better still, improvements on this technique/recipe?

David

Hello and welcome from cloudy Pittsburgh! Whats your current SG?

Haha thanks! - it's not very sunny here ever... ;)

Just checked there, it's SG is: 1.00 exactly :)

If it is still in the primary, I would rack it into a secondary removing the pulp, airlock it, and let it finish fermentation.

It's off the pulp, out of the primary and split between two demijohns. Still fermenting. I do like dry wine...

Joel, I went on your website and saw you made quite a bit of port - this is something I'm very interested in! Could you perhaps point me in the right direction of how to eventually go about it...?

It's off the pulp, out of the primary and split between two demijohns. Still fermenting. I do like dry wine...

Plum makes a great dry wine. It makes a good sweet wine too. I guess plum just makes a great wine!

Yes!!!! I would love to help you with some Port. I love Port, and the fruit ports turn out great.

What king of fruit can you get? Tell me what you want to make and I will help.

Thanks for visiting my site, please sign the guestbook if you get a chance.

Joel

:)

Thanks! I would be really excited to start some port. I really have no idea about how to go about it, so you would have to go over the basics! I can basically get any fruit, I can't pick any, so I just buy it from the local shops! What are the basic principles of port and how is it made :) Will sign your guest book asap! :)

I will type up a basic instuction guide for you when I get a minute. Basically, I would suggest fermenting it to dry, then back sweetening, instead of trying to stop fermentation. I think using that much fortifying agents will over power the fruit.

Let me get something typed up, and I will post it soon.

welcome to our second home. Hope you know what happens to us here. Find a good carboy connection

Hello David and welcome to the forum

from a sunny, yet wintry, New Zealand..

Allie

Latest posts

Back