Greetings From North Carolina

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCharles

Reaction score
Greetings Winemakers,

Thanks for the invite to introduce myself. I'm new to winemaking, starting about three months ago. I am now on my third kit, an Italian Chianti, and have made my first fruit wine, pineapple-peach. I am expecting to start six gallons of strawberry wine in several weeks and hope to take a stab at making wine from local North Carolina grapes later this fall.

My favorite local wine is Lake James Cellars. I visited there this past weekend where I enjoyed their Chambourcin. I purchase my supplies from Advantage Beer and Wine located in Hickory, NC. Special thanks to their manager, Mike Walkup, who got me started in this fun hobby.

I look forward to getting to know you all better and to learn from your postings and experiences.

Best regards,
Paul - Morganton, NC

Last edited:
Welcome,
You said you started a new hobby.

Correction;

You started a new ADDICTION soon to be an OBSESSION !

Hi Paul,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. I just came back from Tega Cay, SC, which is probably ab out 4 hours from you?

Anyway, you said about making wine from some NC grapes, would these be muscadines?

To my fellow fermenters

Thanks for the warm wellcome. I feel right at home.

Julie, You asked if I would be using muscadine. Muscadine is popular in Eastern NC and SC. The warm weather there limits grape varieties that can be grown there. Western NC is much cooler, with altitudes over 6,000 feet. Here is a clip that I copied from a NC page detailing grapes grown here.

Vitis vinifera

Wines produced from grapes of this traditional European species are reminiscent of those harvested in Europe and California. New agricultural developments have enabled viticulturalists to successfully cultivate these grapes in North Carolina. Cultivars include Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Viognier and Cabernet Franc.

I would have posted the link, but apparently I've not posted enough on this site yet, so was unable to post a link.

Google Yadkin Valley Wine. You'll get a better idea of the extent of grape growing and wine making here in the Western part of the state.

Thanks again for the comments and welcome.

See you all soon,
Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm right down the road from you and a recent member as well. You're dead on about Lake James Cellars - they make some absolutely wonderful wines.

Latest posts

Back