Greetings from Ireland

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Reaction score
Hi everyone, greetings from the emerald Isle. I tried my hand at brewing about 35 yrs ago, but work commitments and travelling put an end to that. Now I have plenty of free time, I am excited to get back into winemaking again. I intend to grow, forage or borrow as many ingredients as possible to make my wines rather than using kits. More fun that way I think! Anyway, good luck to everyone with their current endeavors and may the wine gods be with you!😎

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to WMT. Glad that after a pretty long while, you now have the best chance at winemaking.🙂 What ingredients do you have in mind? Good luck, and enjoy the forum.

David Violante

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to WMT! @BigDaveK is doing a lot of wines based on a similar style of growing and foraging for his ingredients. Mostly growing… and he does make wine out of just about anything. He’s got a lot of great ideas and everyone here is very welcoming and helpful with any dilemma or question you come up against. Just ask. There is also a LOT of information in the forums if you get the chance to read through them or search them. Enjoy!

Reaction score
Thanks David, I am having a good read through the forums and find them really interesting. Lots of advice and recipes available. I have a couple of books (First Steps in Winemaking by CJJ Berry, and Progressive Winemaking by Peter Duncan & Bryan Acton), and have found a couple of recipes in the Jack Keller pdf here, that I will try. I am just looking for a decent supplier in Ireland at the moment as I need to get yeasts, acids, nutrients demijohns and hydrometer, etc. As soon as I am stuck ( which shouldn't be too long), I will be sure to ask for advice from you all. Cheers!

Reaction score
Welcome to WMT. Glad that after a pretty long while, you now have the best chance at winemaking.🙂 What ingredients do you have in mind? Good luck, and enjoy the forum.
Hi, I will have an abundance of raspberries, blackberries, gooseberries, apples, sloes, gorse flowers, and hopefully elderberries. Next year I should also have plenty red/blackcurrants, blueberries, rhubarb and strawberries. And I have also started a herb garden to add to the mix. That should be enough to get me started! I can also go foraging when the neighbors are asleep! 😁 (Only joking!) Looking forward to some nice reds and ports.

Rice_Guy

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to Wine Making Talk
I am of a similar style, making what grows local/ much of what you grow. Do you have a source for tannic apple? When I started cyser I used tannic crab apple (5%) and am transitioning to red varieties with names.
Hi, I will have an abundance of raspberries, blackberries, gooseberries, apples, sloes, gorse flowers, and hopefully elderberries. Next year I should also have plenty red/blackcurrants, blueberries, rhubarb and strawberries. And I have also started a herb garden to add to the mix. That should be enough to get me started! I can also go foraging when the neighbors are asleep! 😁 (Only joking!) Looking forward to some nice reds and ports.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to WMT!
This is a great source for information and support.
I enjoy sourcing my ingredients from the yard and garden. I'm retired, I'm cheap and I like to stretch my dollars. And I've had great results so far!
I'm excited about this year. I have a LONG list of wines to make but I'm really looking forward to gooseberry, rhubarb, carrot, beet, and anise hyssop.
Sounds like you have quite a variety to collect and forage. Good luck!!!

ChuckD

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome. That’s a good list for starters 😉. I started two years ago and have done apple, beet, elderberry, and wild grape. My raspberry bushes came in the mail yesterday and I have some crab apples on order. Great hobby!

Reaction score
welcome to Wine Making Talk
I am of a similar style, making what grows local/ much of what you grow. Do you have a source for tannic apple? When I started cyser I used tannic crab apple (5%) and am transitioning to red varieties with names.
No, I have cooking apples but there are a couple of orchards beside me so I will have a look there. Won't be too hard to come by. Never heard of cyser, I had to look look it up. Looks like THAT will be going on my long list also!

TxBrew

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's abundant enough to get started, the neighbors are safe.😄 Keep us posted?

Thanks for the reply.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I have cooking apples but there are a couple of orchards beside me so I will have a look there. Won't be too hard to come by. Never heard of cyser, I had to look look it up. Looks like THAT will be going on my long list also!
Last year because of a late frost I used 100% Granny Smith juice and was happy with the results. This year it looks like I'll be able to do a mix - maybe I'll be even happier?!

Latest posts