RJ Spagnols Grand Gru Pinot Grigio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomK-B

Reaction score
Started my third kit yesterday evening. I decided that I wanted to make something that I could drink fairly quickly since my first two kits need five to six months of aging before they're ready. I chose the RJS Grand Cru Pinot Grigio (10L) kit.

20110815_074031_RJSGCPG_yeast_p.JPG

Yeast Pitched

20110815_074126_RJSGCPG_3hr.JPG

After 3 hrs.

20110815_074220_RJSGCPG_12hr.JPG

After 12 hrs.
smiley4.gif

Oh, I forgot to mention. Initial SG was 1.078. Must temp was 76F. Ambient temp was 77F

A beautiful sight! I haven't made this one and am curious - it appears there is a small bag of something floating on top - oak perhaps?

Yes, that is the "oak infusion" bag. I've read in several other threads that this will never sink, but will float on top throughout the primary fermentation.

Did I mention that I have come to love the smell of grape juice fermenting? I believe I'm hooked.

My wife said that she kept hearing it raining this morning which she thought was odd since it was bright and sunny outside. Then she realized it was the bubbling airlock on my fermenting bucket. Isn't that a great sound?

It is certainly an intriguing sound. But I like to leave the lid to the ferment bucket on loose until I rack to the carboy on about day 6 to 8. A little more air for the yeast to use and it might lead to a bit less gas in the wine to get rid of.

I made this kit, bottled it and forgot about it.....
looking through the cellar last night I found a bottle
and it was dated Oct 2009......... I was suprised it was THAT long ago........... but it was very good !

Had not seen any activity in the airlock for a couple of days, so I checked the SG this morning. I was surprised to see that it had fallen from an initial of 1.078 seven days ago to .992 this morning. So, I racked it to the carboy and stabilized it. Spent about 30 mins degassing with the mix-stir. Added the fining agents, then spent an hour using the vacuvin. I've now set it away for two weeks while it clears.

But now I have a question. I spent a lot of time degassing, but I suspect it still had a little CO2 on board. I was thinking of hitting it again with the vacuvin after it clears and before I run it through the Vinbrite. But if I plan to filter through the Vinbrite, do I need to spend any more time degassing?

It wouldn't hurt to hit it with the vacuvin once more just to see if you get anything. I don't think I would use the mix-stir any more.

Do you plan on bottling soon or bulk aging it for awhile?

Thanks, Mike. Yeah, I plan to go ahead and bottle this particular batch as soon as it clears. I have two other batches aging now and wanted to do something that my wife and I could enjoy without waiting too much longer. That's why I chose this particular kit. I figured we could drink it fairly soon.

I'm excited about a couple of Port kits I ordered that should be coming in next month. But there again, those won't be ready to drink for several months. I believe I've read on several posts here about three "P's." Guess I'm getting a chance to practice.

My son, John, has been in town visiting for Labor Day. This is the first time he's seen any of my new wine making hobby stuff. So, he and I spent most of the afternoon bottling up this batch of Pinot Grigio. This was a great way to spend time together. And what a great help he was! Here are a couple of pictures of our final result.

20110904_221305_Pinot_Grigio_9_.JPG

20110904_221336_Pinot_Grigio_9_.JPG

Well, that's my third batch in the bottle! Now I've got to decide what kit to do next. I'm wanting to do one or two of the ultra premium kits. My wife really loves New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and I'm looking at one of the Amarone kits. Any suggestions?

Nice job Tom, looks very nice....The one suggestion I have is to get more carboys and do both kits and there will be more I'm sure......Isn't this hobby just addicting...
smiley36.gif

Yeah, Bert, absolutely addicting. And I guess I might as well go ahead and get another 23L carboy. I'm going to have to get a couple of 11.5L carboys for the two Ports I have coming in sometime later this month.
smiley20.gif
And besides, I see that if I order something from George today, I can save half on the shipping in addition to my FVW discount. That turns out to be a good deal.

TomK-B said:
My wife really loves New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and I'm looking at one of the Amarone kits. Any suggestions?

Hubby and I love the MM Ren Amarone. It's one of the best kits I've made and I even followed the directions ..........

The MM Renaissance Aussie Sauv Blanc turned out fantastic. It is very similar to a NZ in bouquet. I want to give the RJS En Premier NZ Sauv Blanc a try next time to compare.

Latest posts

Back