Get ready Waldo..........

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Proof is double the ABV...so yes 30% ABV would be called 60 Proof.

So What is Proof?

Distillation, if repeated to the ultimate, will result in a liquid which is pure alcohol or “200 proof.” The proof number is twice the actual alcoholic content of the liquid expressed as a percentage. Thus “100 proof” rum contains 50% alcohol, or “80 proof” whiskey means the bottle contains 40% alcohol. The word “proof” used to be the only way that the alcoholic content of liquor in the U.S. was described, and the term is still widely spread.

There is an interesting history behind the usage and definition of “proof.” In Britain, skeptical buyers needed a way to test or prove the quality of the liquor they were purchasing. They developed a testing method that required the liquid to be mixed with gunpowder. The mixture was then held over a flame. The gunpowder ignited only when the percentage of alcohol in the liquid was 50% or better. So the liquor was considered entirely “proved” when its alcoholic content was at least 50%.

Outside of the U.S., most other countries no longer measure alcohol content by proof, but use a measurement called ABV, or “alcohol by volume”, also known as the Gay-Lussac system. The alcohol content is stated as a percentage of the total liquid, so a 40% ABV spirit contains 40% alcohol. Since liquor is sold internationally, most labels now will list both ABV and Proof.

While a few liquors, especially some rums, are bottled at higher than 100 proof (50% ABV) - most liquor is 80 proof (40% ABV). However, you do need to note the proof when consuming any new spirit with which you’re unfamiliar. Many manufacturers make different proofs using similar labels, which may not always make the difference evident. The Bacardi web site, for example, describes its Bacardi 151 brand as “one that lives on the wild side” but doesn’t ever actually state that the name “151” means it’s 151% proof or 75% ABV.

Thanks Masta, very interesting. I never looked it up, just always thought that ABV was the proof. Glad to know that.

Oh BTW awesome looking Port you sent Waldo and congrats on such a glowing review!
smiley32.gif

THank you, don't think I could have done it without Waldo's help. He's a great coach and fellow wine maker........... Not to mention friend.

Jobe that Port is undescribable at 60 proof. I would love to have the
recipe but I dought it would come out the same without the moonshine!

Glad you liked it Wade.

The recipe was Waldo's (mostly) and it's back on page 3 or 4 of this thread. The only thing I did differently from the original recipe was added more blackberry juice, about 2 qrts to 3 gallons after fermentation was complete. I did this because I just wasn't pleased with the flavor it had at this point, and it was very hot at 20% ABV. I liked the moonshine idea and thought of it from the peach flavored moonshine I got a few years ago. It was very faint in flavor, but was enough to knock the "Hottness" out of it. I was hoping it would do the same thing here, and it did. I think the other things that made a difference was the malt the recipe called for, and the red grape juice concentrate.

If your on your second glass, you'll soon realize the alcohol potentialof the Port
smiley36.gif

I have given the rest of the bottles of this Port to my wife with instructions to guard it with my Browning Magnum and no matter how much I may plead and banter.....MAKE ME DRINK IT !!!
smiley36.gif

Wade, have you tried the scuppernong yet? That is best served chilled (I prefer ice cold), nice during or after dinner drink. I didn't send one of those to Waldo, His box was to full with his half of the port.

Not yet, i stiil have a little left of the Port and I dont like to have more than 1 bottle open. Probably Friday night.

You need a vacu-vin, with many extra toppers. We have about 15 bottles open at any given time. With th vacu-vin, you can open, then suck the air out using it and let it set for days, a week or so and it doesn't go bad at all.

We really arn't "big" wine drinkers so this was a must have for us.

I still dont want all those open bottles hanging around. Betwwen the
kids and me kind of being a neat freak it bugs me out.

Latest posts

Back