Get ready Waldo..........

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks jobe. That looks pretty coll and I'll probably pick one up next year if I dont get one for Christmas.

Great job jobe
smiley32.gif
How much sugar did you add to the fresh blackberry juice and did you add any pectic enzyme to it? I steamed 2lbs Blackberries as an experiment and treated half the juice with pectic enzyme and half without to see if it would make any difference. I know that freezing the fruit drastically changes the pectin insofar as using the juice to make jelly. You have to add pectin back when the fruit has been frozen so it may not need the pectic enzyme for wine making. Did that make any sense???????

That makes total sense Waldo, unfortunately, I tasted so much wine this morning, it may not have made sense then
smiley36.gif

But I didn't add any........... I strained it well, added 3 pounds of sugar. There really wasn't anything scientific about how much sugar to add, I was just trying to get a sweetness that was going to be comperable to the red grape juice concentrate. I think I came close without an actual SG reading..... Didn't think to do that either. I did a side by side comparison between port with red grape juice, and port with the same amount of sweetened blackberry juice, and the blackberry, hands down is 100% better. I was actually questioning the out come of this port till now.

Now we will see what the gallon of Oaked will taste like.

I checked my samples this morning and the pectin definately seemed to benifit the sample I had added it to. It was definately clearer than the untreated sample. I treated the other sample with pectin, combined them and put it in the fridge to add to my Port at next racking.

Wow...... It's been a while, had a hard time finding this post again.

Racked the Blackberry port again this morning..... THIS IS GETTING REAL GOOD!!!!! Should have one more racking next weekend, and then it's off to the bottling room...... Wait... I don't have a bottling room..........

Your going to be very pleased Waldo.

Might add as a side note, that I made a 6 gallon batch of scuppernong a while back that I bottled the other day. It too, is the best I have ever tasted so far. I crushedabout 45 pounds of thecousines to the grape in my press, and got about 2 1/2 gallons of juice. I have about 45 - 50 pounds more, plus about 45 - 50 pounds of muscadines. I'm awaiting word on your steamed juice -vs- crushed before I continue, if there is no difference, I would rather get a steamer. These little buggers are very hard to press.

I am a drooling already jobe
smiley32.gif

Thejury is still out on the steamer jobe but this farI am well pleased with the outcome. A picture of the Muscadine is posted on my Black Currant topic. Edited by: Waldo

Bottled! Done!
smiley4.gif
smiley32.gif

With exactly one glass left over......... I have a hunch that even though I think this stuff is pretty good now, You won't need to drink very much before it's tickle your toes......... Can't wait for it to age now.

They are standing up tall right now for a few days, will get the labels on and get a case out to you Waldo, I think you'll like it, but having never made a port, I have nothing to guage what it should taste like.

Well Waldo, it's been 30 days since bottled, so I had to try it......

Having never even tasted a port wine before, I have nothing to compare this too, except one glass is all one needs to drink in an evening. The Blackberry taste is very forward and is coming alive nicely.

Waldo, Thanks for your help with the recipe. I'll get a case out to you right after christmas is over. I eagerly await your opinion, Good bad or indifferent.

WoooooooHoooooooooooo can't wait to give it a try jobe. I bottled my Blackberry Port about 2 weeks ago and wish to heck I had made 5 gallon. I ended up with only3 bottles out of the gallon I made..
smiley9.gif
It was just so good !!! and I did have a couple of friends dropped by while I was bottling and I couldn't stand them just staring at the Port and slobbering so I shared.
blackberryport.jpg

blackberryport2.jpg

Nice label Waldo...as always...

Did you get the image from the All Posters Site that was Posted earlier??? Sure made a nice label....You do a great job on them...maybe you can start a label business when you retire from your day-job....seems you are up all night working on your wines...

Keep Posting your lablels...give us all some inspiration to do a better job on ours..

There ya go Appleman...A way to get more money for wine toys
"WALDOS CUSTOM LABELS"
You Make The Wine....I Do The Label Design

Hey Waldo, that was NW that posted that idea but I'm sure Appleman wouldnt mind taking credit for it!
smiley36.gif

PSSSsssssst.......... Wade........., (wispering) don't correct old people..... they know not what they do...............
smiley36.gif

And after the man with the little brown shorts showed up today I will definately have to defer to jobe on the label design. I was the very proud reciepient of the fruits of jobes labor on this Blackberry Port. MY FRIEND....It is absolutely awesome. The bottles, the label ( I mean this is one kick ass package folks on the bottle and label) and the contents are equally awesome.
jobesport.jpg

jobesport2.jpg

This Port has a great color and clarity and after pouring my first glass, I just closed my eyes and let the aromas tickle my senses and had my tongue beating against my lips, wanting a taste. There were scents of black cherry,plum, spices and just a hint of the fruit from whence it was born. At first sip, I swished it around a bit, tasting what my nose had already confirmed was there, it has very nice body, a great balance, nice and not overwhelming oaky presence and a good long finish that surprisingly erupted with the flavor of the blackberries as it hit the back of the tongue. The taste lingered long after the swallow and intensified with the pursing of my lips and sucking in a deep breath. I dont care what it sounds like or what it looked like.I was enjoying this. Jobe my man you did one awesome job on this Port buddy.I can only imagine what it is going to be like in another year or so and I am very privelaged and honored that you have shared this with me.Edited by: Waldo

Thanks Waldo, your words mean a lot to me, however, I can't take all the credit for the Port, or the label. Remember, it was your recipe and determination to help this little grasshopper that got me through it. The label is a standard, store bought wine label that I was able to tape to a peice of paper and run through my printer to add the year and the word "PORT", but it does look impressive.

This batch is going very fast so I'm going to take the remaining 50 pounds of blackberries I have and do more. Fifty pounds should do what??? 9 gallons. That might get me through te winter
smiley36.gif

I also must say, I liked the way the moonshine just gave it that right amount of punch. I figure it's about 30% ABV, but it really doesn't taste like it, very smooth, and yes, I can't wait till next year as well.

LOL....... You edited the post to change picture #2..... I can tell you already drank some... even the picture is fuzzy.....
smiley36.gif

smiley4.gif
That was the 2nd glass jobe and I was trying to do a good closeup. Me or the camera one couldn't focus just right
smiley36.gif

Dunno.......... Just figured 30% ABV....... Doesn't that mean 30%???

It's pretty potent stuff.Edited by: jobe05

Latest posts

Back