General Skeeter Pee

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a lemon wine. Lon the creator of Skeeter Pee has a website if you want a lot of detail. www.skeeterpee.com

It is made using a yeast slurry (this is the lees left over from the first racking of a previous wine) and using lemon concentrate.

It is good and a great summer drink.

a lemon wine. Lon the creator of Skeeter Pee has a website if you want a lot of detail. www.skeeterpee.com

It is made using a yeast slurry (this is the lees left over from the first racking of a previous wine) and using lemon concentrate.

It is good and a great summer drink.

very refreshing, and i've even used it as a mixer...
on my 3rd batch and got an "experimental" slurry in the fridge for batch no. 4!

What the heck is skeeter pee?

Giuseppe, Run Now and don't look back! Once you start a skeeter pee you'll be making many at a time and you won't be able to make it fast enough. Plus sooooo many flavors.
There's Rugular Lemon, Grape, Apple, Cranberry, Peach and the list goes on and on.

Next time you rack a wine off it's lees try it using the slurry or start one from scratch.

If I dont have a primary open, I freeze the slurry in a ziploc bag for future use. I have used the slurry not only with lemon concentrate, but also with lime concentrate and to start hard iced tea. It gives the tea a little back flavor of whatever the original wine was. It's a great idea to make something for you to drink while all your other 'good' stuff is aging. It's a good way to reuse yeast, too. But only use it one more time...the yeast get exhausted after that 2nd run and can add off-flavors to your pee.

I have a Cab Franc Ice WIne going right now that I'm going to have to rack in a few days. Would that be ok for Skeeter Pee??

Veeeeery interesting!! I have only made red and white wine and I have only been making it one way. I'm learnig to expand my horizons. I have interest in starting a kit wine... Any suggestiongs on a light, sweet red? Also all this skeeter pee talk has me expanding into that relm of excitment. I do loooove lemons, teas, limoncello anything like that. So this pee seems riiiight up my alley! You guys mention "slurry" are you refering to the sediment at the bottom after primary?

I have heard people mention that they have made Skeeter Pee with as little slurry as was left from a gallon ferment, and some people just used a yeast "starter" (re-hydrated and active) and some have just pitched the yeast.

I use a yeast starter from cherry or raspberry juice concentrate. Once finished, I put a "glug glug" of Trader Joe's Cherry Cider in an empty 20 oz Snapple bottle and fill the rest with my SP. Freeze, then pack up the cooler and head out (to the pool in summer). Drink as a slushy as it defrosts! AWESOME! The only thing I drank all summer (besides wine, of course)!

THANKS AGAIN LON -- You have started a revolution!

Last edited:
My 1st skeeter pee is almost ready to stabilise and clear...I can't wait to taste it!
Do you guys let this stuff age or drink it right away?

BTW Here's my labels for the skeeter pee:

mosquitopeecopy.jpg

i drink it right away.
don't think it will get much better with age (didn't make it that far, LOL)
maybe 1-2 weeks in bottle i only say this because the last ones that i drank were a little better that the first ones. of course, this might be because i know that they are almost gone.

i have 2 bottles put back for a camping trip this weekend. cannot wait.

Everyone is soooo right. this stuff doesn't last long when your friends know you have it. I don't even label all the bottles anymore. I have even put some in 1 gallon juice bottles. I'm on my 10th batch since starting this early summer. (although Lon has imposed a ten gallon per year limit)

I have always had good luck not using a slurry and pitching a Lavin EC 1118 yeast. However after one attempt at a slurry from one of those batches and being unsuccessful (I think I may have screwed up) I have a pee in secondary...#9...which I used a Bluerberry Melomel Slurry and had great fermentation quickly. It almost looks like pink lemonade. I am now convinced that a slurry is the way to go if you have it.

Right now I am debating whether to use to Bluberry slurry or a Muscadine Noble slurry on batch number ten. I have to decide tonight as it's been 48 hours since started.

Steve

I have had success using Lavin EC1118. Just make sure you stir the must 2 to 3 times a day then pitch then yeast after 48 hours. just sprinkle on the top after stirring really well. Keep stirring 2 to 3 times a day and follow Lon's recipe. remember Pee likes alot of O2.

Latest posts

Back