Weird particles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my last bottle of skeeter pee from last year. It's over 1 year old. I've had it in a rack since I bottled it last marchish.
Any clue what this may bee?

Attachments

• 20230511_203605.jpg
    20230511_203605.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Did you back sweeten with frozen concentrate? It looks like lemon pulp.
I back sweetened with invert sugar. I didnt think it was pulp. It was crystal clear and used sparkolloid. This is the oldest and only bottle I have seen this in.
If it was pulp I would think I'd have seen it floating around and in other bottles.

The one time I saw flat flake particles in a bottle it started as a haze which I assumed to be protein haze, (like a ml of milk diluted out). Eventually it condensed into a film and when mixed it broke up like your photo. The haze developed in winter at basement temp.

The one time I saw flat flake particles in a bottle it started as a haze which I assumed to be protein haze, (like a ml of milk diluted out). Eventually it condensed into a film and when mixed it broke up like your photo. The haze developed in winter at basement temp.
I have a video but can't post it. These aren't flat. They really do look like pulp but I don't think there's is anyway it could be.

I have a video but can't post it. These aren't flat. They really do look like pulp but I don't think there's is anyway it could be.
For particles with depth I would first guess yeast clumping or micro growth. Did you add pectase? ,, pectin as from fresh fruit can make a dust like material. Less likely would be some bottle residue. I can’t think of anything in Real lemon bottled juice that forms large particles.
Yeast clumping should have been visible when the batch was two months in bottle.

For particles with depth I would first guess yeast clumping or micro growth. Did you add pectase? ,, pectin as from fresh fruit can make a dust like material. Less likely would be some bottle residue. I can’t think of anything in Real lemon bottled juice that forms large particles.
Yeast clumping should have been visible when the batch was two months in bottle.
I used pectic enzyme post fermentation because I wasn't getting the clearness. That cleared it up. My main concern is consuming something harmful. 10%abv
They are recycled bottles that I cleaned in one-step and sanitized with k meta. My cleaning process is just a soak for a few days and rinse

Might be from the sparkaloid. Maybe not quite totally clear, looked good and the sparkaloid finally precipitated out. Arne.

Back