Freeze your wine !!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Luc

Dutch Winemaker
Reaction score
Occasionally you will have a batch of wine that is good but not excellent. Happens to me too !!!

Now I stumbled upon an experiment that Jack Keller did a few years ago and he had it from Julian Schultz a famous wine-writer.

I repeated the experiment and the result was amazing !!!

it is easy. Just take a bottle of wine. Pour a bit out, and put the wine in the freezer.
By pouring a bit out you will make sure that there is room for expansion, and the freezing will not burst your bottles.

Now after a few days get the wine out of the freezer and let it thaw.

Now taste.
The difference is astonishing.

you can find my own experiment here:

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2010/01/freeze-it.html

I did it with 3 wines, and really can recommend it !!!!

There is no clue (until now) why freezing alters a wine so drastically, but the difference is really good noticeable.

Luc

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
LUC, I am absolutely guilty of drinking my wines early. I don't know why, but I normally freeze it and then thaw it and then drink it. I am not sure why I started doing this, but I have and still do. It does do something to it, no question about it. I am looking forward to reading your blog about this.

And while I am here, I'll take a moment to say I enjoy reading your blogs. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with all of us. You have taught us alot.

Troy

Green Mountains

Reaction score
I find this freaking FASCINATING......and might/will be trying this test soon.

Reaction score
have done this also. not on purpose :)

i think it's similar to the cold stabalization. helps seperate the bad from the good.

Greenman

Junior
Reaction score
This spring we had a "wintered" wine party. One of my boat friends left over a case of mixed bottles on his saiboat this winter which froze and pushed the corks half way out.

Anyways it was all still very good tasting and I may try freezing some of my own before spring.

Latest posts