My Rhubarb Haul

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well wine #29 became a bit of a frankenbarb.

1.5 lbs of banana
5 lb 10 oz rhubarb
4 lbs of kiwi

I took it all from the freezer and didn't account for all the times I have moved them around and tossed other stuff on top.

Holes in the bags. I ended up with a bowl full of rhubarb kiwi juice. So, guess what I decided to make?

I am waiting for it to warm up and have it sitting on the counter in pectic enzyme. I'll keep you updated.

Well, it is absolutely delicious. Sweet and smooth with a bite of rhubarb tart towards the end. I suspect this will be the most I will ever backsweeten a wine. It seems like it will need it, and be better for it. I am rather excited for this one.

I added 2 cups of sugar to bring it up to 1.100 and 3 cups of water to bring it up to 1.5 gallons including solids. Otherwise it is a straight fruit batch.

I think I will transfer the solids to bags and pitch.. What could go wrong?

Likely no reason to bother with raisins for body with the banana in there?

I have lots of yeast to choose from, any suggestions?

I really don't want to make any predictions, but this is definitely the nicest tasting must I have ever made.

I used D47 and put it away for the night.
So far for me, every time a must made me say, "Ooh, that's good", I really liked the wine.

I've had good results with 71B for fruit but so far I only have experience with two yeast. Admittedly I may be missing an opportunity to make an even better end product. I'm intrigued by pitching multiple yeast, keeping in mind the recent killer yeast thread.

I was going to use 71B, but I was looking through threads to see what others have used and D47 came up, so I gave it a shot.

Yeast is cheap, especially if you find the right source. I have seen the same pack of yeast ranging from 80 cents to $5. I don't have anything definitive yet, but I do enjoy having a yeast variety to play with.

Did you see my post on bakers yeast for nutrient. I have been using it for the last dozen batches or so. Just boiled yeast added to the must. I have had very active and healthy ferments with everything from kits to almond, which I can't imagine has a whole ton of nutrient in it. I have used it with the dreaded RC212 which has a very high nutrient requirement. So much so that @winemaker81 was talking about no longer using it due to the likelyhood of H2S.

That's cheap cheap, a $6 brick is going to last me years. Compared to fermaid-O at $50? You could cut one cost to allow a little play money for yeast variety perhaps?

Did you see my post on bakers yeast for nutrient. I have been using it for the last dozen batches or so. Just boiled yeast added to the must. I have had very active and healthy ferments with everything from kits to almond, which I can't imagine has a whole ton of nutrient in it. I have used it with the dreaded RC212 which has a very high nutrient requirement. So much so that @winemaker81 was talking about no longer using it due to the likelyhood of H2S.
I'm still thinking about it -- with proper nutrition RC-212 works fine, but I'm definitely leery of it. The kicker was the bottle I was clearing smells faintly of H2S after clearing. Using yeast that do not produce H2S is certainly lower risk.

I was going to use 71B, but I was looking through threads to see what others have used and D47 came up, so I gave it a shot.

Yeast is cheap, especially if you find the right source. I have seen the same pack of yeast ranging from 80 cents to $5. I don't have anything definitive yet, but I do enjoy having a yeast variety to play with.

That's cheap cheap, a $6 brick is going to last me years. Compared to fermaid-O at $50? You could cut one cost to allow a little play money for yeast variety perhaps?
I started with DAP. It was only 2 oz and didn't last long. Went to fermax right after, slightly better compostion. I DO remember your post. Did some searching afterwards. Had no idea dead yeast is used in a lot of products. Marmite is some kind of spread made with dead yeast. And I guess a lot of beer people use dead yeast. So...I found an unopened brick of baker's yeast in the freezer (no idea how long it's been there, expiry years ago), that's what I use? I'm certainly interested.

Last edited:
I found an unopened brick of baker's yeast in the freezer (no idea how long it's been there, expiry years ago), that's what I use?
Yes, that's exactly what I am using. I had an open brick in the freezer that took me years to get through. They are still alive, but won't proof a dough well enough, so I just did a rough experiment with a 1/2 cup of water and a big scoop of yeast. 1/4 cup likely. boiled it, let it cool and that's my nutrient. I've seen multivitamins and epsom salt are common 'micro' nutrient additives that others have used.

I know fermaid-O is mostly yeast hulls. Not sure if it is bread yeast, or wine yeast, or what else is in there, but clearly it's not a random idea just plucked out of the ether. If you find any literature on it I would be interested, and I will forward it on, as well.

It is likely a higher concentration than needed, but I haven't noticed any additional flavors from it. plus there is already yeast that falls out of suspension that does not leave a wine yeasty, so I don't think that is much of a concern. Also It's dirt cheap, cost is not a worry so I am generous. I can't note anything else other than vigorous healthy ferments, and I can't tell any difference from any other nutrient I have used.

Latest posts

Back