My Rhubarb Haul

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny

Mildly Amused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't dig holes (manually). It is the most unpleasant work I know. I'll skin a log, at least then you have a fine piece of workable wood. A hole? Well, likely you'll dig it, put something in it, and fill it back in. I do not find this satisfying in the slightest. It is just not my idea of fun, so I asked my neighbor to come over with his skid steer and auger.

The Rhubarb was in the road so I took it all out. I don't want to waste it.

Now what? It's washed, the longest pieces are 2 feet. There is quite a bit. I'm going to 1/4 it and freeze it to break it down. Any other suggestions?

Is rhubarb wine worth 3 gallons? Should I try one to start? Any preferred blends, or ingredients to mix in. Maybe I should make a few gallon batches with different recipes?

IMG_20220725_195419.jpg

Last edited:
I have 30 lbs in my freezer right now. You will see many recipes for (some berry)-rhubarb wine because it’s fairly unremarkable on its own. However @Rice_Guy has posted about making award winning rhubarb from straight pressed rhubarb juice. That’s the direction I’m going with mine when I have some free time.

Well @vinny bad rhubarb is skinny rhubarb, watered down and no aroma.

Good rhubarb has lots of aromatics. I have done this with straight juice which pushes the percentage acid up to 1.25% or by blending in a lower acid juice or a few grams of calcium carbonate. The pH tends to be 3.0 so the yeast can tolerate it but it is at the low edge of the working zone.

I've made 3 batches of rhubarb only wine and find it quite flavorful and delicious, but I also bumped up the volume of frozen rhubarb by 20%. It made a big difference. But if you aren't a rhubarb lover (I am, don't come at me with any of that strawberry-rhubarb nonsense) go ahead and blend it, but if you do love it, go for it. I have really enjoyed it and I find it drinks like a dry rose. Good luck!

I have rhubarb available and usually make 2 6 gallon batches a year. 12-15 lbs per batch. Cut into 4inch chunks and freeze. Thaw and ferment it in a mesh bag to limit lees.
I make straight rhubarb, strawberry rhubarb and have made apple rhubarb.
Rhubarb wine is the one I get the most compliments on.
I pick up a 96 ounce bottle of white grape juice and add to each batch.
I shoot for a 10-12 ABV. I usually back sweeten to a sweet wine. This year I’m going to make dryer wine and age with some oak chips and see how that turns out.

I followed @Rice_Guy suggestions for my first batch of rhubarb wine from 100% juice. We did a taste test with added sugar about a month ago and it was delicious. And for those that like to take advantage of home grown produce for wine making (I'm thinking of you @BigDaveK), this wine is definitely worth the effort. And if you're not a big fan of rhubarb, then mixing with strawberries is a good choice. Here are some photos:
1658890731536.jpeg1658890803389.jpeg1658891400983.jpeg1658890955174.jpeg1658891040151.jpeg

Attachments

• 1658891749605.jpeg
    1658891749605.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 0
I have rhubarb available and usually make 2 6 gallon batches a year. 12-15 lbs per batch. Cut into 4inch chunks and freeze. Thaw and ferment it in a mesh bag to limit lees.
I make straight rhubarb, strawberry rhubarb and have made apple rhubarb.
Rhubarb wine is the one I get the most compliments on.
I pick up a 96 ounce bottle of white grape juice and add to each batch.
I shoot for a 10-12 ABV. I usually back sweeten to a sweet wine. This year I’m going to make dryer wine and age with some oak chips and see how that turns out.
Please can you email me a recipe for all three of these mixtures. They sound amazing. So amazing!! Thank you so much [email protected]

Thank you
From Tamara Delong

I pulled the rhubarb out today and I've got 5 lbs 10oz of frozen stalks. Is this enough for a slightly stretched gallon to allow for top up?

I could wait for this summer when I have more, but I might as well get it going if it won't be wasted time. I know there isn't enough for straight juice, but I'm guessing 50/50. Would grape or apple juice over water help, or will that just dilute the rhubarb?

Hi @vinny
Had to check my notes but I think you have enough to yield maybe 6 mini's or 3 full bottles at full strength--no water added, just sugar to adjust ABV and to sweeten. You can check my math, but I had 35# of rhubarb that yielded 4 gallons of wine juice before back sweetening. We like it very much at full flavor but could also see stretching it a little with water to get another bottle or two. Then you'll know after next harvest how you might want to adjust your recipe.

Last edited:
Vinny that is a hard question, let me convert to kilos to make the math easier. My yield is 80 to 82% juice so you might get close to two liters out. Next what size container?
I pulled the rhubarb out today and I've got 5 lbs 10oz of frozen stalks. Is this enough . . . Would grape or apple juice over water help, or will that just dilute the rhubarb?
I have rhubarb (pH 2.8) and use it to acidify higher pH juice as peach (pH 5) or late season apple (pH 4.2) but not white grape (pH 3.3) or early season apple (pH 3.2). ,,,, or if I was going for it squash (pH 6.5)
Flavor wise I liked peach aromatics. It was interesting back sweetening to 1.005 tasted like rhubarb and back sweetening to 1.012 tasted and tasted/ smelled like peach. Apple and white grape are mild so if the back sweetening is low you should have a good rhubarb wine.

I always add pineapple juice to rhubarb for the excellent flavor that it develops. If you use it though, make sure there is no preservative added. I use frozen juice concentrate - one can with 25 pounds of rhubarb for 5 gallons of wine so you would more than enough for one gallon with the addition a portion of one can of concentrate.

I don't dig holes (manually). It is the most unpleasant work I know. I'll skin a log, at least then you have a fine piece of workable wood. A hole? Well, likely you'll dig it, put something in it, and fill it back in. I do not find this satisfying in the slightest. It is just not my idea of fun, so I asked my neighbor to come over with his skid steer and auger.

The Rhubarb was in the road so I took it all out. I don't want to waste it.

Now what? It's washed, the longest pieces are 2 feet. There is quite a bit. I'm going to 1/4 it and freeze it to break it down. Any other suggestions?

Is rhubarb wine worth 3 gallons? Should I try one to start? Any preferred blends, or ingredients to mix in. Maybe I should make a few gallon batches with different recipes?

View attachment 90995
I like to add 2 pounds of banana per gallon to rhubarb. Buttery smooth out front, rhubarb bite as it slides down your throat. That reminds me, I have 5 gallons waiting to bottle.

Latest posts

Back