For pleasure or profit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylan

Junior Maker
Reaction score
I'm blown away by some of the set ups I've seen on this site! The time, dedication, space, and not to much mention money that goes into home winemaking is outstanding.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you are making wine for personal consumption and who is actually making some money?

I know you have to spend money to make money and this can be a pretty expensive hobby, but you also need a license to sell.

Forgive me if I sound ignorant or anything, but I'm interested to know who's doing it for pleasure and/or profit? and why?

Dylan :b

Until now it's been just for fun. But last year I bought a 12 acre farmstead and am in the process of opening my commercial winery. As a matter of fact my first 325 vines went in the ground yesterday. My plan is to get my licenses in place this summer and start making wine commercially this fall.

I wanted to share and I love the aspect if having a tasting room to share and talk about wine with folks.

Much depends on the state in which you live. In my explorations, I have found Iowa to be the easiest state to get into the winery business. Buy your Iowa state permit and you are in biz.

Living in Tennessee as I do, I would never try it. The state is controlled by the large liquor distributors and lays a heavy hand on anyone who does not deal with those folks. Of course, big distributors want nothing to do with small volumes.

Small wineries here can only sell onsite. They have no means of distribution, and so the business model is sketchy. That's why there's just a handful of them in the state. It is easier to start a distillery here than a winery.

Home winemaker here, and I find pure pleasure in the handcrafting of my wine, mead and cider. The one thing about those who have ventured into the commercial market is you find they are usually just as passionate about their commercial winemaking as they were when they were making it at home. To have a 'job' that you find pleasure in is quite rare. And if I were not disabled and declining I would likely be one of those happy owner/operators, but just not meant to be.

I spoke to a local commercial vintner a few weeks ago on this topic. Here in NC, on top of the federal license, you need three state licenses. One to make, one to sell, and one to serve. They also require an onsite inspection.

I've been thinking of a second career for retirement and I've kicked this one around. I have a some years before than can be a reality, but I am considering it. We'll see what kind of wine I am making when the time comes and see if a business plan is workable...

My grandparents own a winery here in TN. So, I know what you mean about it being kinda tough to get into business around here... However, it is not impossible.. that is for sure..

I myself just enjoy making wine, It is something I really like to do and I cant wait to see where it takes me.

Dylan said:
I'm blown away by some of the set ups I've seen on this site! The time, dedication, space, and not to much mention money that goes into home winemaking is outstanding.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you are making wine for personal consumption and who is actually making some money?

I know you have to spend money to make money and this can be a pretty expensive hobby, but you also need a license to sell.

Forgive me if I sound ignorant or anything, but I'm interested to know who's doing it for pleasure and/or profit? and why?

Dylan :b

This past year I made about 60 gallons for pleasure. Most of my money for equipment went towards carboys and a floor corker.

I have thought about making wine commercially, but I would shoot for 2,000 cases to be worth my time.

Much depends on the state in which you live. In my explorations, I have found Iowa to be the easiest state to get into the winery business. Buy your Iowa state permit and you are in biz.

Living in Tennessee as I do, I would never try it. The state is controlled by the large liquor distributors and lays a heavy hand on anyone who does not deal with those folks. Of course, big distributors want nothing to do with small volumes.

Small wineries here can only sell onsite. They have no means of distribution, and so the business model is sketchy. That's why there's just a handful of them in the state. It is easier to start a distillery here than a winery.

would't you still need your federal licences and bond in Iowa along with the state permit?
To answer the original question, mine is only hobby. I have had people offer to pay me for wine, the answer is always no, followed by the suggestion that I'm always on the lookout for free or cheap fruit.

Last edited:
Dylan,

The majority of winemakers here are homemakers and it is illegal for a home winemaker to sell there wine. It is strictly for personal consumption. To make wine for profit you need to have a federal and state license.

I know Dylan, but not everyone would have read that and what a lot do not understand is, anything on the Internet can be monitored by the government and is monitored and before anyone thinks I am being paranoid, I know this for a fact. Do I think ATF is watching the site, don't know but bet you they are clued into certain words.

Just a word of caution, pay attention to what you do and say.

I don't think you're paranoid. and I'm not trying to unearth any illegal activities. I'm just new to this world of wine and eventually want to get into the distribution business. In the end I think we all do it for pleasure, but only few cn do it for profit.

Here in Texas you have to have about 25 permits and all goes through what we call Lone star gestapo.....Texas Alcohol Beverage Commision.
I can make 200 gallons a year for myself..I can give it to anyone,.
I can not sell, are trade anything for it.
I am a beginner wine maker.

I'm in it strickly for profit..

It profits my health and taste buds with every bottle I drink.

Seriously though, I make mine for me and my family and friends, don't take any money for it, I did have my sister in law call me up and ask if I could find a use for some muscadines. ( well duh).

Same here, as most of you. I make wine for the pure joy of it. Something about this hobby speaks to my soul. I'm afraid if I turned it into a business, I would lose some of the fun. But that's just me.

Most hobbies are strictly self-indulgent. This one gets shared with everyone...who's nice to me. :h

Last edited:
All personal - I really enjoying going to a get together and people ask where did you get that great tasting wine ? And of course you talk for awhile about being a winemaker and then they ask you - well how much can I buy from you ? and you tell them its not 4 sale but I will show you how you can make it like someone showed me. Then another winemaker gets his wings !! (or carboys )

Back