For pleasure or profit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can understand what you are saying I live on the edge of the Barossa Valley where we have literally dozens of wineries some of them producing 1,000,000's of litres per year with perhaps 3 wineries in the same road. Can you imagine how hard it would be for a newcomer to start a tasting room /cellar door sales amongst that competition. Every year new people try it and 99% don't make it past 3 years and lose their money/homes/vineyards at the same time.

We make wines that none of them do. We make wines that I've never seen or heard of ever being produced, so we are not in direct competition. In fact, many of the other wineries recommend coming by because it is such a different experience. Further, Hermann, MO is a historic wine area, so we get a LOT of tourists (think hundreds of thousands) that want to try new things. We are building steadily at a good pace. At a year and half, we are doing good. Our location is a 8 miles out of town, but it is on the biggest avenue into town and we have signs. Location is key, but the main thing is, making good wine. When you play with the big boys, you have to learn quick. Larger equipment, etc are not the same and you'd better get your wine right. Sadly, we are just now (on our 3rd year of making) getting closer to the wine we made for home use before. We are continuing to improve and soon enough, we'll exceed our previous bests.

We only have two seasons; football season, and waiting for football season:r

Back