Wild Grapes - I'm going for it!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats crazy! I'm definitely excited to learn more, i'll have to try that this year. What does it taste like? Is it discribable?
Just green beans made a very good "ordinary wine", a simple but pleasing drink slightly better than the bottom shelf bargain white wines. Certainly worth making considering the investment was basically sugar and yeast. Adding the Chinese noodle beans kicked it up a couple notches, flavor more complex, and after back sweetening I would describe it as chablis-like.
Don't hesitate to experiment, you'll always learn something. Worst case you can cook with it or make vinegar.

Some members are very familiar with wild grapes but this is my first year and I thought I'd share my wild grape adventure with fellow novice wine makers. My intention is to make 6-7 one gallon batches, each slightly different, both to learn and determine what I really like. So....

Wild Grape #2

WG#1 underwent an amazing (and disappointing) transformation between Day 1 and going into bulk. I fermented with the skins and seeds and the flavor was completely dominated by astringency followed by the acid. Time for a change!

For WG#2 after thawing the grapes were still whole. Keep in mind the recipes were identical except for grape preparation. I crushed and pressed, combined the pulp and juice with a little water, cold soak in the fridge for 2 days. Then I pressed and strained, using only the juice for fermentation. Night and day difference! The flavor, thankfully, dominates. Acid follows but isn't overpowering. Astringency tags along, noticeable but in a nice way. Lesson learned!
Color still great but it's less black and more purple.

wg2.jpg

Grapes are thawing for #3. Stay tuned...

Some members are very familiar with wild grapes but this is my first year and I thought I'd share my wild grape adventure with fellow novice wine makers. My intention is to make 6-7 one gallon batches, each slightly different, both to learn and determine what I really like. So....

Wild Grape #2

WG#1 underwent an amazing (and disappointing) transformation between Day 1 and going into bulk. I fermented with the skins and seeds and the flavor was completely dominated by astringency followed by the acid. Time for a change!

For WG#2 after thawing the grapes were still whole. Keep in mind the recipes were identical except for grape preparation. I crushed and pressed, combined the pulp and juice with a little water, cold soak in the fridge for 2 days. Then I pressed and strained, using only the juice for fermentation. Night and day difference! The flavor, thankfully, dominates. Acid follows but isn't overpowering. Astringency tags along, noticeable but in a nice way. Lesson learned!
Color still great but it's less black and more purple.

View attachment 108126

Grapes are thawing for #3. Stay tuned...
Hey BigDaveK,
I have done some wild grapes over a couple of years. Mine is pretty much a repeat of what you mentioned. Another thing to try is to cold stablize the wine to help drop the tartrate acid out. I also added oak cubes to mine. I bulk aged it for two years then back sweetened and it turned out pretty good. What was even better was to do a 2nd run on the leftover seeds and skins. A lot of the acid it taken out in the first ferment and it tastes almost better than the first run!

I crushed and pressed, combined the pulp and juice with a little water, cold soak in the fridge for 2 days. Then I pressed and strained, using only the juice for fermentation.
I used a similar process on my concords. One year I fermented them as usual and they tasted ok. I thought hey let’s try an extended maceration. Far worse. This year I did the same as what you’ve described and they are far better.

Hey BigDaveK,
I have done some wild grapes over a couple of years. Mine is pretty much a repeat of what you mentioned. Another thing to try is to cold stablize the wine to help drop the tartrate acid out. I also added oak cubes to mine. I bulk aged it for two years then back sweetened and it turned out pretty good. What was even better was to do a 2nd run on the leftover seeds and skins. A lot of the acid it taken out in the first ferment and it tastes almost better than the first run!
It's always good to hear positive reviews for wild grapes. This is my first year so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

And fortunately before I started I read that wild grapes make a good 2nd so all my pulp is going in the freezer. It's on the list!

It's always good to hear positive reviews for wild grapes. This is my first year so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

And fortunately before I started I read that wild grapes make a good 2nd so all my pulp is going in the freezer. It's on the list!
Great! I'm sure you will love it, but it does take some time!

I used a similar process on my concords. One year I fermented them as usual and they tasted ok. I thought hey let’s try an extended maceration. Far worse. This year I did the same as what you’ve described and they are far better.
Hi David,
I have my concord wine chillin in my garage, soon to be finished and bottled. I didn't give it a thought to do a 2nd run on them. Thanks for the tip!

Latest posts

Back