My second "non-car" project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Prior to wine making, my main hobby was restoring '60's era cars. Mostly Fords and British sports cars. When we bought some property 2 years ago, I sold my 3/4 finished project car (Sunbeam Alpine with Ford V6) so I could focus on getting the property and the vineyard back in shape. With 4 grandchildren, I wanted something that we could putt around the property in, so I made a mini-jeep out of a riding lawn mower. To say that it has been a hit with the grandchildren is an understatement. They love riding in it, but the pedals make it so they won't be able to drive it for quite a while.

jeep ride.JPEG

I want to do a follow-up project, one that the kids could easily drive by themselves. I've decided to make a mini Army tank. This is what I am using as the basis for this project, which I picked up 2 days ago. Some definite hurdles to overcome to use the drivetrain for this project; traction, ground clearance, uneven terrain, enough torque?

chair.jpg

The unit is fully operational and I can tell has little use. It was a bargain @ $100. I stripped it down and wanted to convince myself that this was a good idea, before spending more time and money. While I would love to have it a track driven machine, I don't think I will go through that level of effort as the time/cost vs fun ratio probably isn't there, unless I have to do it to make the whole project useable.
off truck.jpg

The stripped down buggy is pretty fun to drive, I think the grandkids will have a blast. Plans are to get the mechanical squared away first. It will need new batteries and off road drive tires. I'm hoping I can get away with the front/rear tires as they are. If not, I am prepared to re-engineer it so is can navigate flat grass.

roller.jpg
I've learned more about wheelchairs in the last few days than I thought I ever would. I was looking for a chair with a big wheel (14") because I knew it would be needed for traction. This had the unintended benefit of a chair that had bigger motors and batteries and this model in particular has coil-over suspension that will allow me to do some ride height adjusting. Besides a very expensive 4x4 wheelchair or one with tracks, this Quantum Q6 model ended up being the perfect choice...assuming it all works in the end.

Prior to wine making, my main hobby was restoring '60's era cars. Mostly Fords and British sports cars. When we bought some property 2 years ago, I sold my 3/4 finished project car (Sunbeam Alpine with Ford V6) so I could focus on getting the property and the vineyard back in shape. With 4 grandchildren, I wanted something that we could putt around the property in, so I made a mini-jeep out of a riding lawn mower. To say that it has been a hit with the grandchildren is an understatement. They love riding in it, but the pedals make it so they won't be able to drive it for quite a while.

View attachment 103223

I want to do a follow-up project, one that the kids could easily drive by themselves. I've decided to make a mini Army tank. This is what I am using as the basis for this project, which I picked up 2 days ago. Some definite hurdles to overcome to use the drivetrain for this project; traction, ground clearance, uneven terrain, enough torque?

View attachment 103219

The unit is fully operational and I can tell has little use. It was a bargain @ $100. I stripped it down and wanted to convince myself that this was a good idea, before spending more time and money. While I would love to have it a track driven machine, I don't think I will go through that level of effort as the time/cost vs fun ratio probably isn't there, unless I have to do it to make the whole project useable.
View attachment 103224

The stripped down buggy is pretty fun to drive, I think the grandkids will have a blast. Plans are to get the mechanical squared away first. It will need new batteries and off road drive tires. I'm hoping I can get away with the front/rear tires as they are. If not, I am prepared to re-engineer it so is can navigate flat grass.

View attachment 103225
I've learned more about wheelchairs in the last few days than I thought I ever would. I was looking for a chair with a big wheel (14") because I knew it would be needed for traction. This had the unintended benefit of a chair that had bigger motors and batteries and this model in particular has coil-over suspension that will allow me to do some ride height adjusting. Besides a very expensive 4x4 wheelchair or one with tracks, this Quantum Q6 model ended up being the perfect choice...assuming it all works in the end.Oh, you'll have fun dwith that

Oh, you'll have fun with that! A story I wrote...

https://www.uah.edu/news/research/students-turn-250-wheelchair-into-geo-positioning-robot

I found that Honda 50 Monkey off road knobby tires will fit these rims and the rim can accommodate an inner tube. The Honda tire is a half inch wider and a little taller, so some spacers and fender modification or removal are probably in order. I removed the lug studs to find ones a 1/4 longer. Amazon should deliver the tires and tubes tomorrow.
IMG_9761.jpeg

I could pretty much tell when driving the go kart around that it was struggling when under load, like going up hill. I measured the voltage of the two batteries, one was 12.7, the other 12.4. I took them to the local auto store, who can test them under load and they both failed. Ordered $218 of new batteries via Amazon today. I expected this expense, but happy I was able to test everything on the chair first, before spending $ on the batteries.
D6418E93-2332-4897-BE72-9F3AE1A82B6B.jpeg

While waiting for parts, I was looking at the new tire fitment issues. I couldn’t find longer studs that were the same width and pitch, but longer and it would be best to not use spacers. I ended up removing the fenders and the top deck. This still gives me a good base, lowers the center of gravity and should resolve any clearance issues.
IMG_9772.jpeg

New batteries made a world of difference. The thing scoots pretty good. Still looking for spacers and studs so I can upgrade the tires. Passed the test to move on to the body build.
IMG_9790.jpeg
Short video on the first ride on grass.

Latest posts

Back