WineXpert First Wine Kit problem

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RkyMtnWine

Reaction score
Completed step 2 of my White Merlot wine kit last Tuesday... following the directions. Not sure if this is a problem. I do have about 3 inches of air space in the secondary as expected.. the fermentation has slowed considerably.. sg was 1.010 when i did the transferr. Room temp where i have the secondary is 65. Have about 1 1/2" of fine sediment. What may be an issue, on the inside wall of the jug.. especially in the airspace i notice a lot and i mean a lot of white film... This film is also going half way up... Have never seen this in any of my other batches. Is this normal? Picture little out of focus but you get the idea.
20090111_083824_01_10_09_001_Sm.JPG

I have noticed that once in a while the foam that formed during active fermentation left a coating on the sides. This sometimes seems to kind of dry on and even cause some sort of growth or off color. I try if I see foam there to gently rock the carboy to wet it down. I then wait a little while and rock again to wash it off the sides with the wine. The alcohol in the wine has a certain antiseptic value to it and generally gets rid of the deposit.

If you are relatively sure the fermentation is over now, I would rack it to a clean carboy and add the k-meta at this time. It may be some sort of spoilage organism and by racking and adding k-meta, it should stop it's development. Wade and Dean say some of the kits they do form an oily film sometimes. Maybe this one has. Anyways, if it is done or nearly so, I would rack ASAP. Good luck, hope it is fine.

I would also give George a call in the morning and see what he has to say about it

Thanks Appleman and Waldo... Will test the sg and see if its done. Kit instructions say to wait 10 days, its only been 5... but if the sg tells me its done... i will go to step 3.Thanks again... certainly dont want to mess up my first Kit.

Wasnt me Rich but I know exactly what you are talking about and it was Cellar craft and believe it was Dean & K&G. Ive never encountered this problem but would do as appleman says with the racking if fermentation is done.

just tested the SG... was .998. Instructions tell me to wait until sg is .996 or less on the white merlot. Still having small bubbles.. So, should i transfer now because of the film or swirl it... and let it sit until it reaches 996

Thanks

It does sound suspicious. At least it is practically done. Give it a swirl this afternoon and see if it is back in the morning. If it is I think you are close enough to finished that I would transfer to a clean carboy and proceed on to the next steps. Oily substances make me nervous.

Yeah... appleman... the oily film has me wondering a bit. Will give it a swirl today... wait until tomorrow... see what its like... and also give george a call.. thanks.

just to keep you posted. I gave the carboy a swirl and the majority of the film in the air spacedid wash away... although the deposit was still on the side walls. I sent email to Winexpert. and here is their reply.

Hello,

Thank you for your contact and for choosing our products. The stuff around the neckshould disappear when you add the additive packages and top it up. If there is a deposit on the sides of the vessel give the carboy a quarter turn. Do not pick up the carboy - just give it a 1/4 turnvery carefully. The deposit should drop to the floor of the vessel.
It is not a problem. Your wine is cool so it may take longer to reachand a stable s.g. reading (below .996).

I did as instructed and noticed that most ofthe depost did start to slide down.. Will do that again today. Did speak with George later in the day and he assured me that it is not much of a concern... and when i go to step 3 to do taste test to make sure it is not spoiled.. do believe its going to be ok.. Thanks for your assistance on this matter. Doing a little research now on what kit i am going to do next.. believe it will be a red. Amazing how fast a person can get hooked on this hobby... like eating peanuts.. once you start, hard to stop.

Back