1st mead, what to do about headspace?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Started my 1st mead 2/3/23 with an OG of 1.110 using 3 lb local Idaho honey. Racked to secondary yesterday FG 1.010 because I am going out of town and didn't want to leave it in a bucket since I was beginning to see yeast rafts and was worried a film yeast might take over. I have this much headspace in my 1 gallon DJ. How do you top up a mead? I don't want to use just water, or change the flavor with wine which is all I have in the house. I have this grocery store honey I could use but am uncertain how to go about it. All advice will be appreciated.

Attachments

• mead 3.jpg
    mead 3.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
Your options are to top off or down size. Have you got a half gallon and some smaller jars?

I left out the option of marbles, LDPE rods, etc. Some use them, I do not.

Your options are to top off or down size. Have you got a half gallon and some smaller jars?

I left out the option of marbles, LDPE rods, etc. Some use them, I do not.
how would you recommend topping off. Could I add a mixture of honey/water and if so what proportions and do I need to do anything to sterilize the honey before addition.

That’s not much head space if you’re only gone a week or so. I wouldn’t worry about it. I have meads sit a month - 2 months with more head space than that. If you’re worried about it, add a hand full or 2 of sanitized glass marbles, it will raise your liquid level to the cap thus eliminating your head space.

While it isn't a problem at this stage because it will be off-gassing co2, it will be for clearing and aging. I second Jim Welch's recommendation of topping up with a commercial mead. In the future, start with 1.25 to 1.5 gallons so you'll be left with enough to fill the jug after sampling and racking off the lees.

Back