1st mead, what to do about headspace?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Started my 1st mead 2/3/23 with an OG of 1.110 using 3 lb local Idaho honey. Racked to secondary yesterday FG 1.010 because I am going out of town and didn't want to leave it in a bucket since I was beginning to see yeast rafts and was worried a film yeast might take over. I have this much headspace in my 1 gallon DJ. How do you top up a mead? I don't want to use just water, or change the flavor with wine which is all I have in the house. I have this grocery store honey I could use but am uncertain how to go about it. All advice will be appreciated.

Attachments

• mead 3.jpg
    mead 3.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 0
Your options are to top off or down size. Have you got a half gallon and some smaller jars?

I left out the option of marbles, LDPE rods, etc. Some use them, I do not.

Your options are to top off or down size. Have you got a half gallon and some smaller jars?

I left out the option of marbles, LDPE rods, etc. Some use them, I do not.
how would you recommend topping off. Could I add a mixture of honey/water and if so what proportions and do I need to do anything to sterilize the honey before addition.

That’s not much head space if you’re only gone a week or so. I wouldn’t worry about it. I have meads sit a month - 2 months with more head space than that. If you’re worried about it, add a hand full or 2 of sanitized glass marbles, it will raise your liquid level to the cap thus eliminating your head space.

While it isn't a problem at this stage because it will be off-gassing co2, it will be for clearing and aging. I second Jim Welch's recommendation of topping up with a commercial mead. In the future, start with 1.25 to 1.5 gallons so you'll be left with enough to fill the jug after sampling and racking off the lees.

Latest posts

Back