My first mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon M

Winemaking Newbie since 2022
Reaction score
My first-ever batch of mead seems to be going well so far. It's a simple mead - nothing but 2-3/4 lb of honey plus water to reach 1.1 gallons, and the various nutrients and a bit of lemon juice and acid blend to get it down to pH 3.6, plus a bit of tannin powder.

Initial SG was 1.100, Brix 23.7, so it should go reasonably dry.

It's definitely slower fermenting than the various wines I've made, but it's getting along steadily. I added some additional Fermaid-K and yeast nutrient on day 3. There are not many bubbles or foam in the last couple days, but the Brix keeps falling steadily so I guess the fermentation is still happy. I'm using Lav 71B yeast (because I had it and I generally like the flavors it produces).

I've been taking refractometer measurements no less than daily, and often a few times per day (I'm a data geek), and the chart below is calculated accordingly (including temp and ethanol corrections). I'll do a hydrometer measurement when I transfer it to the carboy and have to sanitize a bunch of other stuff anyway. (My refractometer calculation sheet crosschecked perfectly with the hydrometer on my previous batch of wine, so I generally trust it.)

I already like the flavor, which is great, because my only previous experience with mead was not happy (waaaaaaaaay too sweet and too strong a honey flavor - which says a lot for someone who loves honey and eats it raw by the spoonful). But the local brewer's supply shop clerk convinced me to try making my own. So far, I'm glad I listened and didn't let my previous tasting scare me off from the mead world.

1698624693854.png

Latest posts

Back