filtering wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctshep97

Reaction score
i have a gravity filter and the directions says soak pad in water and then run a gallon of water through filter before using . is this nesesery,can you just clean everything in a k meta solution before using??t

Im not exactly sure what the reason for this is and would really like to know as Ive been using this filter for some time and have just followed the instructions.

good morning..in most cases the saturation is need to allow the wine to run thought the filter smoother and not bind up quickly,it also helps to absorber the unfiltered media passing through (like softening up a sponge before using).........at least thats my take................

The reason I have come across for doing it is a combination of what Joe says and to remove any fine particulates in the pad from the manufacturing process. It is very hard to make any paper or cloth product without getting some dust from those in and on it. They don't want to wash it off at the factory because that would possibly contaminate the pads and then they would need to dry them.

Latest posts

Back