Farmhouse Cheddar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol are you reading my mine? I was just thinking about that myself this morning

----------and I was hoping for a taste at the "meet and greet"! :wy

I have my cheese in our spare bedroom, aging but with the warmer weather the temp has climbed to 65 in there so I now need to place them in the frig. I am thinking of getting a small dorm frig and making that into a cheese cave. Anyway, the second farmhouse cheddar we made had some mold on it So I had to dig it out, it was into the cheese not on the wax, so anyway, here is my cheese with a little hole in it, yes I know I just need to fill it back in with some wax but I am looking at this cheese and said "What Da Hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm tasting!!!!!!! :slp So I did, it is now 2 months old and ..................... OMG is this stuff good! The texture is very creamy, and it has a very sharp cheddar taste. Actually this stuff is better than anything I buy at out meat shop. They have specialty a cheese shop and their cheeses are heaven.

I am so happy with the outcome. Come fall I we will be making way more than the four batches that we did.

I made my first farmhouse cheddar this past Sunday. It was in the press all day yesterday. Late last night I unwrapped it to begin the drying process.

It measures 6 inches in diameter by 2.125 inches thick and it weighs 2 lb 3.4 ounces.

I made it from two gallons of low temperature vat pasteurized non-homogenized Jersey cow milk.

The milk was unbelievably expensive. I was able to source it only in pints from Whole Foods at $1.39 each. At a cost of around $10 per pound of cheese, I won't go that route again. I will have to find a less expensive source for low-temperature pasteurized non-homogenized milk before I make any more cheese.

As you can see by the yellow tint, I added annatto to color it. My impression is that most home cheesemakers and cheese aficionados dislike coloring additives and prefer all of their cheeses to have a natural color. But I wanted to see what the effect would be, and frankly I find the colored Cheddar and Red Leicester cheeses to be visually attractive and aesthetically appealing. In fact, the color is not as dark as I'd like. I hope it turns more orange colored during aging.

The press I used is from Hoegger Supply Co. http://www.hoeggerfarmyard.com/xcart/Presses/

I'll be waxing my cheese when it has dried and developed a rind. Then it'll just be a matter of aging time before I can taste it.

first-farmhouse-cheddar-001.jpg

first-farmhouse-cheddar-002.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that does look good. Would you mind if I ask why you go with low-temperature pasteurized non-homogenized milk?

Thank you!

Sure, I'd be happy to explain.

The reasons I wanted low-temperature pasteurized non-homogenized milk mainly come down to two.

First, in much of my casual research of cheesemaking forums, web sites and blogs devoted to cheese making, and a few vendor sites that sell cheesemaking supplies, I found many recommendations to use raw milk or minimally processed pasteurized milk rather than homogenized milk, both because the cheesemaking process will be easier, and because the taste was considered by proponents to be superior.

It was often stated that something in the homogenization process, perhaps the change in fat globule size, negatively affects the milks ability to form a good curd. Some sites also claimed that homogenizing milk alters the flavor and tactile qualities of the cheese that is made from it.

Second, I tried making mozzarella and a couple other soft cheeses a couple years ago with homogenized milk using Ricki's kit, and my results were disappointing. Low yield and poor texture were the main issues. I only tried a couple of times, so part of the problem might have just been my unfamiliarity with the process.

In my very first attempt, I used ultra-pasteurized homogenized milk. It was a total flop. I got hard little curd particles 1/2 the size of rice grains. I tried again using a regular homogenized milk and got much better results, but the cheese wasn't very good tasting or looking, and didn't have the right consistency.

So a few days ago when I decided to give it another try, I decided that I wanted to use a milk that would be as close as possible to a farm fresh raw product. Low temperature vat pasteurization holds the milk at 145 degrees for 30 minutes. Supposedly this wreaks the least amount of damage to the milk.

It was also partly a nostalgia thing. As a child, our milk was delivered to the house early in the morning twice a week by the milk man. It was a non-homogenized pasteurized milk from Guernsey cows, and it had an awesome buttery color and flavor. I have never tasted a homogenized milk that had such flavor. I just wanted to use something for my cheese that would be as close as possible in flavor and character to that incredible milk I recalled from childhood. Silly, perhaps, but there it is.

Thank you Mike.

I'm trying to make Ricotta from the leftover whey now. I let it sit on the stove, covered, for 26 hours to acidify. That took me to late last night. I was ready to go to bed, so I stuck it in the fridge. Then just a little while ago, I took it out and brought it up to 204 degrees.

That seems to be all there is to it, as far as I know. I followed the process described here: http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/Ricotta/ricotta_00.htm

I'm letting it cool down a bit now so I can strain it. Will post results, good or bad, tomorrow.

cheese making

I 've been following this thread and will soon depart on this roadway,can anyone make a list for me of what utenciles are required to start with and if you know of any other chems. I should get before hand,if I'm going to do this I want to do it all the way,also any place in new jersey that has real non-pasteurized milk?wegmens or the like ?even goats milk.:d

Depends on the type of cheese you want to make. If its the farmhouse cheddar, there is a kit for that. It has some cultures, thermometer, mold, cheese cloth, rennet and calcium chloride, and a booklet on making cheese.
That runs $29.99 and makes 8 different cheeses and roughly 25 to 30 batches of cheese at around 1lb each.

Other things you may need:
A pan large enough for 1 to 2 gallons of milk.
Long spoon
collander
a slotted or perforated spoon
cheese press
tupperware ( or other plastic ) container for aging cheese that need aging
rubber gloves ( for mozzarella )
6 gallon fermenting bucket ( I use it for when I have to hang the cheese for draining, then clean it out and store my supplies in it)
cheese mat
wax
curd knife
I could go on.....

I feel like your question really deserves its own thread.

But anyway, there is a good basic equipment list on this site, as well as a good general description of the process:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Cheese/Cheese_course/Cheese_course.htm

There are specific instructions for several types of cheeses, and some of these may list additional equipment or chemicals.

Most equipment is common stuff you probably already have. Pots, strainers, collanders, thermometers, long-handled spoons, cheesecloth. A cheese press would be a specialized piece of equipment that you might want to consider. Butter muslin or a very fine weave cheesecloth is better than the loose weave stuff you can get at the grocery store, so that might be considered another specialty supply item.

Kits and individual supplies are generally available from beer and wine and/or cheesemaking supply stores and vendors. Kits should come with good instructions and all the basic equipment and consumables you need for several batches.

The most important specialized supplies are starter cultures, calcium chloride solution, maybe annatto if you want to color your cheese. You'll want to buy some cheese wax for aging unless you are only going to make fresh cheeses that are eaten without aging. You can buy starters in bulk or in convenient pre-measured packs. You'll need mesophilic starter for many common fresh and aged cheeses, or you can make your own from cultured buttermilk) for basic Farmer's Cheddar and similar cheeses. For certain hard cheeses like parmesan, you'll need themophilic starter culture. And of course, you'll need specialized bacteria for blue cheeses and for surface ripened cheeses. Rennet is essential for almost all cheeses. It can be obtained in tablet or liquid form. Often you can find rennet at your grocery store too.

Good milk is often the most difficult item to source. Ultra-pasteurized milk won't work. Regular, non-high heat pasteurized homogenized milk will work. My results with low-temperature pasteurized non-homogenized milk have been very encouraging so far, and such milk should be a good option if you can find it.

Raw milk availability varies from state to state. You'll have to check your state laws. In Texas, a dairy that is licensed by the state to sell raw milk can do so only directly from the farm. There are no other retail sources for it in Texas, and I suspect the same is true in most other states. Of course, if you are lucky enough to have a family cow or some milk goats, you're good to go.

The Ricotta I made from my leftover whey came out very good. It is very dense and smooth, not grainy at all, and it has an excellent flavor.

I got 6.9 oz by weight, about 1 cup by volume, from the nearly two gallons of whey left over from my farmhouse cheddar.

That may seem like a low yield, but the Ricotta is almost effortless to make, and the flavor is rich and delectable, so I think it is worth the minimal effort. When I graduate to making cheeses from 4 or 5 gallon vats of milk, the yield should go up to over a pint.

I used the Ricotta to make stuffed shells tonight. I didn't take a picture of that, but here is a picture of the Ricotta. It wasn't much, so I had to augment it with some store-bought. Mine had the same texture as the store-bought Ricotta, and was even better tasting.

ricotta-01.jpg

Very cool! I haven't waxed any of my cheese yet, but every time I make one, I tell myself I should do it! I've been just sealing them with the vacuum sealer. Just getting lazy I guess! :)

Back