Exploded Bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurieL

Junior
Reaction score
My friend opened up a bottle of a blueberry orchard breezin kit. Let it sit on her tabled opened for about 5 minutes and them just set the cork back in about 1/8". It then popped out of the bottle, hit her ceiling, and the wine started running out of the bottle. Any ideas how this may have happened after it was already opened? I have never had this happen before. She did use a nitrogen cartridge to open.
smiley5.gif

That sounds like the problem to me. Sounds like the nitrogen supersaturated the wine and that is why it popped out and fizzed. Never heard of such a way to open a bottle. It is meant to preserve an open bottle of wine, not fill it full to open it.

I have seen those openers on the market recently. I do not understant, or agree with them.

It operates like those hand held pump openers. You basically pressurize the headspace with a needle inserted into the cork until the cork pops out.

I sure wouldn't use it on a good/expensive bottle of wine!
smiley11.gif

I don't know why anyone would need to go to so much trouble to open a bottle of wine
smiley29.gif

Latest posts

Back