Dissolving Label Paper - cool!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon M

Winemaking Newbie since 2022
Reaction score
I wanted something that would be easy to remove later, and I found this water-soluble label stock on Amazon. It dissolves in almost no time, including ALL the glue. It takes maybe 20 seconds under running hot water to have a completely clean bottle, and all the "paper" and glue literally disappears (no curly nasty gunk in the sink).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T94KTRJAt $16.75 for a 25-page pack, and fitting six labels on each 8-1/2x11 sheet, that's about $0.12 per label.

Of course, if you get the bottles wet after labeling, that wouldn't be good... and it's probably not great for a chilled wine bottle sitting out on the table collecting condensation. But otherwise, I like it so far.

(I searched but didn't see any prior threads about this. Sorry if it's a duplicate.)

Attachments

• SmartSolve paper.jpg
    SmartSolve paper.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 0
  • label.jpg
    label.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 0
Dissolving paper is a nice idea, but there are too many conditions in which the bottle will sweat. Even if the label doesn't completely dissolve, it will ruin the presentation. And .... if you have moisture in the cellar, you may have a collection of bottles without labels.

Avery makes a label that peels cleanly off the bottle. I used them for a while and love 'em, but Avery doubled the price. I switched to one from labelonline.com that comes off easily with a few minutes of soaking in hot water.

I buy these labels from online labels, You are able to peel these off clean and you can reuse them after pulling off. So I'll label 15 or so bottles and then as I drink a bottle I'll peel the label off and stick it on the next bottle that I did not label, Cutting the cost some on labeling.

https://www.onlinelabels.com/products/ol4546wi
I love the peel-off labels, but the price makes me choke. My last order of 100 sheets from labelsonline was $50 USD including tax and S&H. The price for the peel-off labels is $125 (not including tax + S&H). URK!

I love the peel-off labels, but the price makes me choke. My last order of 100 sheets from labelsonline was $50 USD including tax and S&H. The price for the peel-off labels is $125 (not including tax + S&H). URK!
Which ones Bryan? I'm getting OL2547WR for the same price as silverbulleto07 - which is your $50 with shipping, etc. Which ones were $125?

Which ones Bryan? I'm getting OL2547WR for the same price as silverbulleto07 - which is your $50 with shipping, etc. Which ones were $125?
Mine are the OL4546WI - Weatherproof Gloss inkjet for 123.73 for 100 sheets. Makes me want to research a different printer for labels to bring the price down. I tried the OL4546WR - removable white matte table and they were too much trouble to remove. The OL4546WI peels right off and I can stick it on another bottle to reduce the price some.

I find labels to be more trouble than they're worth. I simply use an enamel paint marker to label bottles; scrubs off easily with a stainless scrub pad.
Yeah... this is... another magnitude entirely. Me and my one-glass-every-other-day drinking pattern... I'd be a decade finishing one wall of what I see there. LOL.

Latest posts

Back