Lifesaving wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemanden

Reaction score
I know, most of us think that at times a glass of wine is a lifesaver, but this really happened in Australia.

A 48-year-old woman survived five days stranded in the bush in Australia by eating sweets and drinking a single bottle of wine.
Lillian Ip set off on what was meant to be a short trip on Sunday, travelling through dense bush in Victoria state.
But she hit a dead-end after taking a wrong turn, and her vehicle became stuck in the mud.
Ms Ip - who doesn't drink - only had a bottle of wine in the car as she was planning to give it as a present.
After five nights stranded, she was discovered by emergency services on Friday as they flew overhead as part of a search.

"I thought I was going to die there. My whole body shut down on Friday," she said, adding that she "was about to give up".
As she lost hope of being found alive, she wrote a letter to her family saying she loved them.
Ms Ip was found around 60km (37 miles) away from the nearest town and due to health issues she was unable to walk far so stayed with her car, Victoria police said.
She only had a few snacks and sweets to eat, and no water.
"The only liquid Lillian, who doesn't drink, had with her was a bottle of wine she had bought as a gift for her mother so that got her through," Wodonga Police Station Sergeant Martin Torpey said.

God bless her, if this happened recently she is lucky overall and especially that it happened now as the southern hemisphere is entering winter and not summer

LOL ... wish I could convince my boyscout leader dad that drinking a bottle of wine would keep a person hydrated .........but we know that wouldn't fly.... heheh

alcoholic beverages may whet the whistle but that's all.

Good thing that woman never went on the reality show SURVIVOR! ..... she wouldn't have made it past day 5 ...

The body can go weeks without food, but only about 5 days without hydration -- she likely increased the rate of her 'expiration' by drinking alcohol! .. ooops ... oh well, I'm sure it tasted like heaven at the time!

LOL ... wish I could convince my boyscout leader dad that drinking a bottle of wine would keep a person hydrated .........but we know that wouldn't fly.... heheh

alcoholic beverages may whet the whistle but that's all.

Good thing that woman never went on the reality show SURVIVOR! ..... she wouldn't have made it past day 5 ...

The body can go weeks without food, but only about 5 days without hydration -- she likely increased the rate of her 'expiration' by drinking alcohol! .. ooops ... oh well, I'm sure it tasted like heaven at the time!
If it was 14% ABV, 86% is water!

Back