Drgags...all in for wine making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good picture, Gags. You are hooked hooked hooked!!! And yes, we are all jealous. hahahaha

LOL Waldo you beat me to it!
I was thinking St Bernard with Keg under chin so dang! Almost exact thinking here!

Great spot for working in Doc.

Tim

hey guys the funny thing is we have both, a newfoundland and a st. bernard, hence the name.....glad to see you all get it! LMAO. a question. hand corked my bottles yesterday and very dissappointed in the quality of the corking...corks did not go all the way in....and dimples on top from corker......not happy at all....also but some #8 corks from george to use, and they did not work as well as the fine vine corks he also sent me.....will a floor corker do a better job for presentation or do i need to buy a machine....lol......i am a perfectionist......by the way, filtered my first batch, and definitely added visible polish....#2 pads only. still waitinig on those dang racks, mexico is where they are being built....so who knows.....but something with the wood shipment is delaying me finishing my cellar...

Floor corker is the ONLY way to go IMHO! Worth every penny I spent on it and more.
smiley20.gif
smiley27.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley27.gif
smiley20.gif
smiley27.gif

Dr. there is no question about it. A floor corker is the only way to go and thats the one thing we tell beginners to up grad if buying a package deal. For the 60.00 or so they cost its well worth it.

it seems from george's video the italian is the better way to go and is more flexible....agree....and i will get one before i do my next batch.....

The Portuguese works just as well really and is half the price of the Italian.
smiley31.gif

Mine has had zero problems with either red or white 375ml bottles. Perhaps they have updated the design since the video was made or my case of bottles is taller than George's bottles. I picked mine up at a LHBS in Santa fe.

I've put corks into coming on 1,000 bottles with my Italian floor corker - extremely solid and worth the price. If you decide to go with the brass iris(Italian) over the plastic iris (Portuguese), you may want to pick up some Petrol Gel food-grade lubricant at some point. I noticed that using this on my floor corker has helped keep scoring to a minimum and the action working smoothly.

- Jim

i was bottling 750ml and putting #8 x 1.5 corks in, then switched to #9 x 1.5(finevinewine corks)and liked them better, but all of you seem to use #9 x 1.75....so may switch to those totally, also saw on the board about the meglioli corks, but no consensus thought.....so are they ok, or just switch them out and use for extras.....also tonight going to heat gun my capsules...then hopefully a photo...going to use the enclosed labels, nothing fancy or personal at this point......Italian corker....next to purchase. does that come in blonde or brunette....sorry ladies, it was too easy.

Doc Doc Doc when was the last time you saw a true blond Italian! You know what comes next after the corker, or you can get both at the same time and save on shipping...

I've been using #8 1.75 inch corks. They work well with the portugese hand corker.
Also, since you're in the dental business and have access to suppliers, get yourself an aspirator pump to rack with. :) Wade's got a nice diagram somewhere on here showing how to set it up.

ok, big day for me, another two kits arrive from George. EP Ausy Shiraz, and Meg rojo intenso... also my Mahogany wine racks finally arrive from California to be installed...i promise pictures....also will filter my MM Merlot tomorrow. Labels on my EP reisling and have to apply Capsules. this wine thing is starting to consume some time, but oh how much fun.... if only anything wasready to drink.....my suggestion to newbies, make early drinkers first then go to the big boys....

Good luck on your kits and keep us posted. I agree with you 100% about making early drinking kits first so you're not digging into the bigger kits before their time.

WOW, Nice racks and nice job on the bottle. I like the glasses also. 16 bottles to a cube plus all the other openings, What is your capacity?

I can see where the wine party is going to be next year, LOL. I was in your neck of the woods last Saturday at Kraynaks. I was passing through and looking at patio furniture and nursery stock. They were was too high.

Back