Drgags...all in for wine making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im aging some bulk around my waist! Im much more patient now then I used to be and still have last years Cali grape wines in bulk aging and they need to get bottled very soon.

Well That is what happens when you become Administrator.
smiley4.gif
smiley32.gif

It has always struck me as odd that the oldera persongets the more patientthatpersonbecomes when that person can afford it less.
Example: 99 year old man bulk aging winefor two years. ....... ? wishful thinking ? goal ?
smiley24.gif

Bwaaahaaahaaa, nice burn there! Ive made a commitment tonight to just drink water for the next few months instead of all the iced tea I drink at night, its really been giving me the Dunlop disease!

yes i do not have as much patience as my older colleagues on here and hence i am still a newbie....thanks for the good comments and open dialogue.....i can say this though, i have not opened a single bottle of wine that i have made, i have had a few test glasses and some leftover that didnt quite fill a bottle, but other than that, nothing open here.....still looking for information on the aspirator that is talked about...what is the setup....thanks

Wade how much did you pay for your pump setup? Carboys are getting heavy!

xanxer82 said:
Wade how much did you pay for your pump setup? Carboys are getting heavy!

Me too. Not supposed to lift much. But I would need one of you engineers to come hook it up for me.

You can get the vacuum pump on ebay for under $100. I have seen 2 for $60. Most of them on ebay are used for that price. New ones are $170+ The hoses and caps are less than $20. I paid $110for everything.We use the canister as an overflow. Just make sure that liquid never gets into the pump.Some even have a foat ball that kills the vacuum when liquid gets too close to the pump (just like a wet vac)

just an update on my winemaking...started fining my MM Zin, will bottle next week, need a carboy soon, bulk aged for 3 months, will bottle age from here.My Amarone i am going to age in carboy for 6 months, so december will start the fining then. My shirazand rojo are resting fine inglass, who knows when i will get to them. Started 6 gallons of WE chocolate raspberry port, will be giving away durring the holidays.Lucky to find 2 kits so bought them up.Waiting on the orange port from George and the plum pinot. should be shipping soon.Opened a bottle each of the EP riesling and the MM vinefera merlot. Both got high praise from 5 other friends, not big wine drinkers but all enjoyed and two bottles did not last long....should get better with some age, especially the riesling. Both were started first week of May, 2010. Also the wine cellar itself has been holding at 69 degrees all summer long. Wish it was a little cooler, but has been warm in western pa with temps in the mid 80's to mid 90's....but temp is steady.
smiley17.gif

New wines to start...Just got some italian juice, a Barolo, Cab.Sauv., vermentino (white). these are to be pre-balanced and with natural yeast. Much less than respective all juice kits, will see if the results are ok. they are produced by Mosto Bello juice. anybody use these before? any recommendations on what oak to use with these? also am going to look to add skins, or raisins to the reds. any other suggestions would be helpful. i need to get on the ball and take some pics and give another update on what the Big Dog Winery has been doing.....

Hey Doc good to hear the update. Look forward to the new pics. I will also be getting the orange chocolate port from George this week. Did you get the juice from on the strip ing Pgh? I was down there looking around for the first time last week.

It has been forever since my last post, and i have been a busy winemaker. The cellar is approaching full faster than i thought....over 600 bottles probably now. Around 20 types of wine Big Dog Winery has produced, all in 23 litre batches. A combination of kits from George, and juice buckets from a local winery called Luva Bella. Most recent kits started has been the Red Mountain Cabernet, Amarone Mondiale, Meglioli Pinot Noir, Marsanne-Viogneir-Roussanne, Wildberry White Zin, Blackberry-Cherry Pinot Noir (all George Supplied Kits). Juice buckets started, Chilean chardonay, gewurtramiener. So what started less than a year ago has turned into "wine madness!"
20110329_101059_1000000004.JPG

Wine Cellar with Handmade in Diamond bins and to the left. Commercial in the curved rack.
20110329_101327_1000000005.JPG

Pinot grigio, shiraz, riesling(back sweetened), Amarone
20110329_101452_1000000009.JPG

orange port, Moscato(back sweetend), riesling ice style, choc. rasp. port
20110329_101642_1000000002.JPG

Barolo
20110329_103305_1000000003.JPG

Cabernet Sauv
20110329_103436_1000000011.JPG

this is the last of the room now...will be filled with those new fermenting wines....antique wine opener on the wall...pretty cool thing.....i will try to list all my wines i have done to date....just trying to be patient now, especially for my big reds.....the whites and others, we do drink occasionally, but need to make room for future, so could use some help...lol....
smiley36.gif

I'm so impressed (and jealous!) I have a wine room in the works but for now all my wine is in boxes. One day I hope to have a set up like yours. I am even thinking about painting the walls the same color. I love the antique wine opener!!!

You've been a very busy winemaker! As us musicians say, "Bravo!"
smiley32.gif

Very impressive, Kevin. I see you're taking this obsession seriously. I just started the first of the year. I have 24 gallons in various stages of aging. Don't have the first thing bottled. I do have a bucket on order from L'uva Bella winery. Should pick it up in a few weeks. Keep up the nice work!

Thanks for the update. It took a while just to get the post together and done. That is a beautiful wine cellar you have.

Keep up the good work and don't be such a stranger.

Latest posts

Back