Drgags...all in for wine making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20100719_221658_DSC_0284.jpg

curved corner rack
20100719_221841_DSC_0280.jpg

more pics
20100719_222058_DSC_0279.jpg

running wolf...yea kraynaks is way to pricey...i think they hope to catch people from cleveland or pittsburgh off guard...thanks for the compliment on my racks...that is the EP reisling in a blue hock with labels from a recomendation here....gold capsules was the best choice i had....i am so happy with the entire wine thing...going well, finally got around and filtered my merlot, the first kit i started....will bottle probably this weekend...tasted tonight and was pleasantly suprised with how far it has come....now i have somewhere to let it get better, should be happy in their temporary home.

capacity is close to 700 bottles if you allow me to put a couple cases on those shelves....

Yep, thats a nice rack for sure and I know a nice rack when I see one!

That's going to be fun to fill up!
smiley20.gif

I love the wine rack especially the curved rack. Very Nice! Thanks for posting the pictures so we can all drool over them.
smiley20.gif

I need a good source to read (or help) to find out how to blend some of these wine kits. any ideas? I would like to blend a merlot and a Cab. I need Some hint on how to do this. Thanks Lynn

ok have bottled by EP sauv blanc....had alot of CO2 in it at bottling after multiple degassings.....so i used the vacuvin on the carboy and then hit each bottle with it twice......hopefully will get the fizz out of the wine....tasted ok though, maybe i dont have that taster for that dioxide. just order from geroge the buon vino auto filler system....tired of all the tubing and everything all over the place...also ordered the italian floor corker......making it easier i hope......also the rojo intenso and australian shiraz are now in secondaries.....fermentations went to completion without hitches....just waiting ......then some kmeta, add begin some bulk aging.....

Those are some nice purchases. I would recommend getting a drill mounted stirrer if you dont have one to help in the degassing stage or even better a electric aspirator pump like many of us have. they can be purchased pretty cheap on Ebay.

Good Luck Doc you picked up some nice equipment. What Wade said about the drill mounted degaser and the aspirator is right on. The invitation still stands if you can make it to my party this Saturday. It'll be a chance to meet some other wine makers.

PARTY !!!! WHEN !!!! WHERE ???
Will there be lots of pictures taken?
smiley4.gif

I know i am a novice, but do know that CO2 concentrations has nothing to do with ready for bottling or not, and do know that you need to be rid of the CO2 prior to bottling.....so it is more important that i degas the wine prior to bottling and thus did that with my drill mouted stainless steel mixing rod and also by using the vacuvin.........this wine was also filtered and left for four weeks post stabilization to age a bit in the carboy. and since it is a white, not necessary for a lenghthy bulk aging as i understand it.......i believe it was just this kit or so.....

The kit wines are known to rush things.Now that you have a few wines to drink I would recomend longer bulk aging. I do not degass or filter my wines. I just let them bulk age. ( I could and should degass)They degass with age and racking and they filter with racking. ( IMHO filtering takes out flavor) I let the white wines bulk age for at least 6 months and the reds bulk agefor at least a year before I bottle. You will find this easier to do when your racks start to fill . I beleave that Tepe had 26 carboys bulk aging? I keep 6 full all the time. when I make a new wine it bumps my oldest into the bottles
smiley36.gif

Ive had wines almost a year in bulk aging that didnt degas in where in temps of right around 70 -75 almost the whole time so I highly recommend degassing.

Opus 1 in a prime shelf location, I see.
what year?

I opened a 1982 awhile ago and it was bad - got hot!!!
bawaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

rrawhide

rrawhide......off the top of my head i belive it to be a 2000.....funny you noticed that and not all that good hobby wine....lol.

about the degassing issue.....when i did the bottles indidvidually ....the fizz was all gone, just pumped with the vacuvin two times and puff...

.as far as the bulk aging for me i would rather bulk age a few months in carboy, then get it cellared in bottles, temperature and lighting much more controlled, and not a big deal to me if bottle one tastes different than bottle 17.......in addition once bottled with a good cork i know i am sealed.....dont have to worry about kmeta(both for oxidation and airlock) and any leaky bungs.....most of the local wineries bottle yearly..... not alot of bulk aging.....harvest, ferment, age, bottle and sell.....so again, long term aging in carboy seems less important. just my opinion.

filtering wine again is a big issue....i have done some research and have heard the arguements......but does not most comercial wine go through a filtering process.....again my local wineries filter ....... and again for me, it looks great in the glass....... presentation is half the battle.

Hey wade. I did say that I should degass.
smiley4.gif
I think that I degass unwhittingly with the vacume pump when I rack.

Dr.Gags, I can see that you have really done your homework.
smiley23.gif
You are correct.You will have some great wine.
smiley20.gif
I love you wine room.
smiley32.gif
However I keephearing the C word. "Commercial"........ Keep in mind that time, storage and testing to the day is money. Don't get me wrong they work hard to give you the best wine for the dollar. I think that most of the people here make wine that is better than the commercial wine. That is at least better than a $25.00 bottle wine.
IMHO I can take a $80 wine kit and bulk age it for a year ( year and a half start to finish ) and it will taste better than a $150 wine kit forced threw the stages and ready to drink in nine months. And I will have less sediment and a better presentation. ( not that I care about presentation. I care about taste) ( and I do fewer kits and more grape off the vine)

I have used a filter. You can still end up with sediment after a year or so.

I think ,.......... I read somewhere.......... That is, I think that I read that Wade is bulk aging more than he did.
smiley9.gif

Latest posts

Back