Drgags...all in for wine making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drgags

Reaction score
Thought it might be interesting for those to follow along with my new hobby. Unlike some, I have jumped right in, head over heals, and in one month have four kits in the making. Meglioli Zin with all grape pack, En Primeur Riesling, Vinifera Noble Merlot, and MM Masters Edition All JuiceAmarone with raisins. I invested a fair amount of money so far, but getting much joy from the process, and can't wait to reap the benefits in the years to come. Also I am in the process of building a wine storage room, i will call it this because i am not temperature controlling the room as a cellar would be ( my room is consistantly around 65 degrees F. 600 plus bottles of storage, hence the winemaking. I will be putting pics up soon to show you my rooms and my processes, I invite you to follow along and give a new guy tips and hints along the way.....Thanks to this forum, it has provided me with much information to help along the way.....i have given a name to my vintner venture.....Big Dog Winery.....Like a good bottle of wine, i want to share with friends.

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to reading about your adventures in wine making. And I think I can speak for everyone - We also can't wait to see pictures!

Dr. Gags,

With that pace, I'm guessing sooner rather than later you'll likely need a bigger room.
smiley2.gif

Happy winemaking to you.

- Jim

Welcome Drgags,

Nice name for the winery and way to get started!

Four kits in a month? Oh yeah, you're completely hooked! =)

Welcome to the forum!!

Yeah, we have to make allowance to you since you are just a beginner. You will soon be up to the correct pace of about 6-10 a month.

Seriously though, we are glad to help out when we can.

Welcome to WMA.......

Wine Makers Anonymous.....

We meet here every day to gather strength in order to fight the addiction of turning grape juice into something completely different!
smiley17.gif

Welcome!

Welcome Drgags, I love the way you jumped right in with your hip waiters on and a nice selection of kits to boot. I think youll be very happy with your decisions in a year or more on 3 of them and about 6-8 months on the Vinif. kit as the earlier drinker. At those temps and being steady your cellar will do quite fine. Mine is very similar to yours but gets a bit cooler in the winter and only gets up to around 68 in the summer mainly because I have to run a dehumidifier in there for the worst 2 months as my water holding tank is in there and it starts to sweat alot which gets the humidity a little too high so running the dehud. takes care of that but warms it up a tad. Glad to have you aboard.

Welcome to the party! Feel free to jump in any time and ask questions. This site is awesome and George and his staff are one of a kind! Glad you're here.

Alright Drgags what's your gig. LOL I have built labs for a medical school here in town and you sure as hell look like you got yourself a lab in the process. I am not sure if its protocol for a newbe to the hobby to come on this forumand kick the crap out of us with his wine making room. LMAO Can you tell I am jealous. It looks awesome!!!!!!!
smiley32.gif

running wolf......bought this house a couple years ago and in the basement the woman had this craft area...cabinets, shelves, counters and even a sink....i thought making wine was better than a sewing machine.....think you all will agree.....

by the way also from PA....Clark, just south of you.....

WOW..thats really cool. When designing your wine cellar keep in mind future expantion of racks. I built mine with more racks than I would ever need, I thought. I have added more twice now and have about700-800 capacity but who's counting. I was just down your way yesterday in Greenville. I went to White Stone rock quarry to pick up some rocks for a friends pond we are building.

my cellar is about 7 x 9 feet...only racking two walls, and will only do a third if need be.....got my racking from grotto cellars in calif. priced alot on the net and they seemed to be competitive....not cheap though.....i think there quality should be very good....this is both a decorative cellar and one serving the bigger picture.....will be laying a slate floor this weekend...off to get materials....

Hey Dan, when you coming down to put in a Koi pond for me? I have always wanted one!

Do you have herons anywhere in the area? If so, you will have to put a net over your pond. Heron love to spear and eat Koi!

I use to put in ponds quiet a bit and had four of them at my old house 10 years ago. I also use to do seminars at nursery's on building them. Since then I got married and bought a new house. I am out of it now and my wife keeps bugging my for one. Our yard is already filled with flower beds all over. We go over board on the landscaping like I do on the wine making. LOL But we also have the nicest looking yard in the neighborhood and people will come by and ask for a tour. We have even had garden centers bring customers to our house to show them certain plants or gardens. The pond we are doing now for my friend says he is not interested in any fish. Just a bog garden and a place for his golden retriever to go. I know what a waste. If a dog had gone in one of my ponds he would have ended up in the same pile as the blue herons...LOL just kidding!

Back