Do I Dare Try It?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
About 1/3 of the bottles my Niece got me from Wiedeker Winery are screw tops. Can I safely put corks in them using my floor corker?

You might get them in ok,but it would be a shame to put some great wine in them only to have them chip a year later when the cork is removed. Any sparecaps to use?

Are they a heavier bottle than normal Waldo? If not, you are taking your chances with them. I have used a few before and had about a third break while trying to remove the cork.

I have before with no problem but would not do it again from what Ive
heard from others. If you must maybe use a # 8 cork so as not to push
your luck!

Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like I need to order up some screw caps then. Any type any better than the others?

I could be mistaken, but I do not think the screw caps George sells will work on commercial screw top bottles. I think they are for the screw top bottles he sells which are different from commercial from what I have read. Like I said though, I could be mistaken. I would give him a call or email before I ordered.

Good catch Smurf as it doesnt say that under the description and that would s@#k!

Like I said, I am not sure. I just remember reading a conversation on a forum about this. It was said that special machines apply the screw caps to the bottles and that the ones seen for sale at home brew suppliers will not work. You can buy screw top bottles from your supplier though that will accept the caps they sell. It is highly recommended that you give George a call first. I do hope though that I am mistaken and they will indeed work. Just hate to see someone order something that may not work for them.

Thanks smurf.....Hopefully George will read this. If not, I'll give him a call.

Some of the commercial wine with screw caps are like a one piece cap/foil combination thing...the caps are very thin...like as thick as the foil.

I had ordered some metal 28mil screw caps from another supplier and they didn't fit some regular wine bottles, but they fit some 185mil bottles perfectly.

Maybe the plastic ones would fit your bottles...it's kind of trial and error.

In the beginning of this winemaking venture wehave used a few screw top bottles and used #8 corks with no problem.

I think many wineries will be going to those one piece foil/cap combination caps for convinenice...so we better cherish of good corked bottles.

Latest posts

Back