Other Degassing with the All in One Wine Pump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve can lend more detail, but just an FYI, the metal thing is the vacuum discharge. While bottling, instead of pulling the cork out of the vacuum bottle to stop filling, just press the vacuum discharge and the flow will stop. Hope this helps!

Joe

Thanks joe
Yes look over the FAQs and it describes on how to use the vacuum release for bottling and transferring. Please pm me if you get a chance to chat as I am sure I can easily walk you thru all the process in very little time

I would like to thank Grasshopper for coming up with this great gadget that saves even more time in the process of removal of CO2. It still uses the 6.5 bung ,so you will not have to switch racking canes in order to use this complete setup. I am now selling them for 12 dollars with purchase of pump or 14 dollars individually (includes shipping). Please Pm me with your email address and I will put a PayPal money request to you, until I can get my shopping cart up and running properly.
They are flexible and are only 9'' tall to provide more stability.

degassing tool [276x400].jpg

Last edited:
I would like to thank Grasshopper for coming up with this great gadget that saves even more time in the process of removal of CO2. It still uses the 6.5 bung ,so you will not have to switch racking canes in order to use this complete setup. I am now selling them for 12 dollars with purchase of pump or 14 dollars individually (includes shipping). Please Pm me with your email address and I will put a PayPal money request to you, until I can get my shopping cart up and running properly.
They are flexible and are only 9'' tall to provide more stability.

And it works great. Got mine yesterday and used it today. Great addition to the AIO.

dralarms said:
And it works great. Got mine yesterday and used it today. Great addition to the AIO.

Thanks for the reply !
I also like it, as it is flexible and will not break off like your typical racking canes, I will be getting my juice buckets next week - looking forward to see all that CO2 being removed during a normal vacuum racking.

Degassing

So, I'm new to the wine making process (not beer) and I jumped right in on the All in One. I am still having problems bottling, which I know that Steve will be happy to help, but I have a general question in regards to Degassing and kit instructions.

First off, I get that the all in one will degas, I have seen it in action as I have racked from Primary to Secondary on my first two kits. My question comes in on the next step.

The instructions say: (WE eclipse Kit)

"NOTE: Do NOT rack the wine before stabilising and fining. This kit
requires that you stir the sediment back into suspension. Racking
the wine off the sediment prior to fining may permanently prevent
clearing. Please be sure to stir all of the sediment up from the bottom.
The wine needs extremely vigorous stirring during this stage. Without
hard stirring, trapped gas in the wine will prevent clearing. At each
stirring, whip the wine hard. Drill-mounted stirring devices (see your
retailer) can ensure efficient degassing

Dissolve contents of package(s) #3 (metabisulphite) and package(s) #4
(sorbate) in 125 ml (½ cup) of cool water. Add to carboy and stir vigorously
for 2 minutes to disperse the stabilisers and drive off CO2. Be sure to stir up
yeast sediment from the bottom, and stir hard enough to agitate gas out of
the wine.

2. Shake contents of package(s) #5 (Chitosan or isinglass clarifier). Carefully
cut open the corner of the pouch(es) and pour contents into carboy. Stir
vigorously for another 2 minutes to degas the wine. If you do not degas the
wine completely, it will not clear.
"

So.....What do you do in the case of the All in one.

Do I put the next batch of ingredients (clearing agents and Meta-bisulfite) into the bottom of a clear carboy and rack on top?

Is there in fact stirring and agitation that needs to be done?

Do I want all of that sediment back in suspension as mentioned in the instructions? or leave the "lees" behind?

Thanks in advance.

Well I for one don't stir the sediment. I don't do kits but that sounds asinine. Why would they want you to stir up the sediment? Seems like you would want to rack off before adding kmeta and potassium sorbate.

Maybe someone who does kits will chime in.

Some kits need the sediment stirred back in to get the clearing agents to work properly. Generally I've noticed they do this on their kits that do not have a grape pack. Using an all in one in this case is something I'm still trying to figure out. Mostly I stir to degass then use the headspace eliminator to help pull more out before I add the kmeta or chitosan. I suppose that you could stir to get it in suspension and then rack with the all in one.

@Wineaviator

Do I put the next batch of ingredients (clearing agents and Meta-bisulfite) into the bottom of a clear carboy and rack on top?
= That is what I do

= You will be agitating the wine as you are transferring it

Do I want all of that sediment back in suspension as mentioned in the
instructions? or leave the "lees" behind?
= I have only done 1 kit so far, and I always leave the leaves behind - but like previously mentioned - talk to someone who has done more kits than myself.

You can always contact me and I can go over any bottling issues you may have

So, I'm new to the wine making process (not beer) and I jumped right in on the All in One. I am still having problems bottling, which I know that Steve will be happy to help, but I have a general question in regards to Degassing and kit instructions.

First off, I get that the all in one will degas, I have seen it in action as I have racked from Primary to Secondary on my first two kits. My question comes in on the next step.

The instructions say: (WE eclipse Kit)

"NOTE: Do NOT rack the wine before stabilising and fining. This kit
requires that you stir the sediment back into suspension. Racking
the wine off the sediment prior to fining may permanently prevent
clearing. Please be sure to stir all of the sediment up from the bottom.
The wine needs extremely vigorous stirring during this stage. Without
hard stirring, trapped gas in the wine will prevent clearing. At each
stirring, whip the wine hard. Drill-mounted stirring devices (see your
retailer) can ensure efficient degassing

Dissolve contents of package(s) #3 (metabisulphite) and package(s) #4
(sorbate) in 125 ml (½ cup) of cool water. Add to carboy and stir vigorously
for 2 minutes to disperse the stabilisers and drive off CO2. Be sure to stir up
yeast sediment from the bottom, and stir hard enough to agitate gas out of
the wine.

2. Shake contents of package(s) #5 (Chitosan or isinglass clarifier). Carefully
cut open the corner of the pouch(es) and pour contents into carboy. Stir
vigorously for another 2 minutes to degas the wine. If you do not degas the
wine completely, it will not clear.
"

Do I want all of that sediment back in suspension as mentioned in the instructions? or leave the "lees" behind?

Thanks in advance.

These kits ask you to add the bentonite at the start of fermentation. At the first racking you remove the sediment,this is a part one of clarifying. Then at the next step you stir the sediment adding #3 and #4 stir this is the stabilizing, then you add #5 Chitosan this goes through another step (step 2) of clarifying process. Step #1 bentonite raises and falls gathering particles during process (positive and negative bonding). Step #2 stirring up sediment and adding Chitosan completes another process of (positive and negative bonding), the stirring dispenses particles so this can be more effective.
I generally do these steps with large spoon as I also use my AIO to degas from carboy to carboy. As long as you add the packets while dispersing the sediment your following instructions. I am going to do a test on using nothing but K-meta just for my own research .

Last edited:
Well I for one don't stir the sediment. I don't do kits but that sounds asinine. Why would they want you to stir up the sediment? Seems like you would want to rack off before adding kmeta and potassium sorbate.

I called asked the question and was told you needed to stir to get the bigger chunks floating around so the smaller stuff would have something to grasp on to and thus the wine clears faster. So, I did it that way.

Still, it bugged me....I don't stir the lees up in my fruit wines. Next kit I racked out of the secondary without stirring, fined and it cleared very nicely. I suspect the manufacturer is also concerned about infection and oxidation too.

I've done dozens of kits and am now switching to fresh juice. I do NOT stir the lees, I rack off the lees and add the clarifying ingredients. It does take longer to clear but I generally bulk store my whites for 3 to 6 months and my reds 6 to 12 months, so they are crystal clear by the time I'm done. I also use the all in one pump for racking and degassing.

A few days ago I rebelled against my WE kit instructions and racked off the sediment for stabilization, degassing and clearing. I've no way to measure but the amount of new sediment I now see at the bottom of the carboy seems like no less than what I remember seeing with the last WE red I completed. Both are 10L kits. All of the many RJS kits I've done had instructions to rack before stabilizing, degassing and clearing. The RJS kits also included a two step Superklear like fining agents.

Latest posts

Back