De-Gassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I afree, I'm pretty slow. I've been reading about de-gassing and someone used a vacuum pump, so I decided I'd try it. When I applied the vacuum, I was suprised at all the gas that was in the wine, I had to kill the vacuum or I would have sucked all that foam into the vacuum pump. I didn't know if I was pose to keep the vacuum on until it stopped bubbling or not. I left a little gas in the carboy. This was done to two batches that were just sitting there clearing up. When do you de-gas and for how long and is it necessary?

Semper Fi

Hang in there Bud help is on the way I think Wade and Running Wolf both use vacuum to degas their wine they will be able to answer your question

I degas as soon as my wine is done fermenting so that it will clear faster as trapped C02 will keep sediment afloat. Degassing should be done at a temp of right about 75* as cooler temps will make it harder for the gas to come out of suspension and warmer temps arent really desired for your wine. As for how long it all depends on the wine as some will be extremely gassy while others not so much. Do you have a gauge and adjustment knob on your pump? Do not go above 22" of vacuum as much above it starts to get unsafe. I always start out with low pressure like around 10" and run that for a few minutes and then gradually increase it. I have a different method after that that works great for me but your system can not have any leaks to do this. Once I can get my vacuum up around 15 or so I crank it up to 20" and then immediately shut it off withnthenvacuum cranked all the way as this will hold a vacuum thos way. I let it sit for 1/2 an hour and if it stays above 16 then I consider it degassed, if it drops below then I repeat.

De-Gas

I de-gassed, then added the clearifier. I didn't get all the gas out, I don't have a gauge on my system, but I can get one. Can I de-gas again (after adding the clearifier) or just learn from my experience? What harm do it do if you don't de-gas, I read where it helps clearify the wine, what else?

Bud you can degas later as well. As Wade mentioned if you degas right after fermentation is complete your wine will clear faster. If you have some left it will leave over time thru bulk aging and racking.

Make sure you don't remove all of the CO2 as your wine will taste flat.

I've seen numerous dicussions about not over degassing. How do you determine when enough is enough? I have used the conventional stirring method and Wades vaccum method but I have leaks in my vaccum system which I will be correcting shortly.

Unless you are using a vacuum pump I would not worry about degassing too much at all.

Wade, I am alittle confussed. I that you always degassed. I do have a vaccum pump but have not been successful using it because it will not hold a vaccum so I resort to the drill attached stirrer. I will be fixing the pump shortly as I have quite a bit of wine ready to stabilize and clarify.

Not what I meant by that! What I meant it to sound like was I dont think you can over degas without using a vacuum pump meaning that by hand or even dill I really dont think you can over degas your wine. With a pump thats another story especially if you are using one designed for AC work, the pumps most of us use have a limiter on them that only lets us get to about 22" of vacuum.

Yeah - that is why i have a manifold on mine - it allows me to regulate the mercury being pulled. It is a stage 2 vacuum pump for A/C work - i could probably break the carboy if i cranked it all they way up.

I don't have a vacume or whip and need a ingenious way to degas... I have too much wine that isn't clearing.

I have a medical aspirator pump that I use for racking. Unfortuantly it leaks and I can't use it for degassing. I have added a manifold with a shut off valve but it still leaks. The only part not replaced which I will be in around noon tomorrow is the vacuum gauge ($8.00). Hoppefully if this corrects the leaking problem I can degass using the pump per Wades instructions. I have 20 gallons of various wines readt to stabilize and degass. It sure would be nice to be able to do this without the stirring method.

Next up: The vino bottler

I use a medical aspirator and it works great to rack, filter, degas, and bottle. Yoi can buy one on Ebay for about $100 with shipping or even cheaper if you find a good deal.

I just replaced the gauge and corrected the leaks. So far the first 5 gallons of mucadine is holding at 16". This sure beats the hand strirring or drill method.

I found a solution in another forum that helps degas well. I hooked a plastic tube to a brake-bleeder pump. I sealed the other end into a bung, and I pump it up to around 10 pounds. When foaming slows, I go up to around 20. It will hold a vacuum, so I keep revisiting and pumping until the pump holds around 15 pounds or so.

It was a 12 dollar solution. It's easy to just pump and leave.

I found a solution in another forum that helps degas well. I hooked a plastic tube to a brake-bleeder pump. I sealed the other end into a bung, and I pump it up to around 10 pounds. When foaming slows, I go up to around 20. It will hold a vacuum, so I keep revisiting and pumping until the pump holds around 15 pounds or so.

It was a 12 dollar solution. It's easy to just pump and leave.

I have read several times where people use a brake bleeder.

You can also buy a simple vacuvin (for sucking the air out of a partial bottle of wine) and use a bubbler ("S") air lock. I do the majority of degassing with a drill and stir stick, then use the vacuvin to do the rest. I can leave it on a carboy over night and still have a vacuum the next day.

Of course nothing bets a nice vacuum pump setup.

Poor man's degasser

Here is a picture of my poor man's degasser in action :)
picture.php

I used to use the Mityvac brake bleeder and it is a great method also, just not as fast and easy as the electric vacuum pump that I use now and the electric is the best tool if you have a bad back and cant or dont want to lift full 6 gallon carboys off the florr after gravity racking. I almost dropped a full 6 gallon carboy one day while lifting it up and my back gave out but held it just enough to put it down gently and curl up in a ball on the floor. I immediately went on Ebay and purchased one and would never go without one again. I can filter, degas, bottle, and rack from the floor to my counter or horizintally.

Latest posts

Back