De-Gassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to use the Mityvac brake bleeder and it is a great method also, just not as fast and easy as the electric vacuum pump that I use now and the electric is the best tool if you have a bad back and cant or dont want to lift full 6 gallon carboys off the florr after gravity racking. I almost dropped a full 6 gallon carboy one day while lifting it up and my back gave out but held it just enough to put it down gently and curl up in a ball on the floor. I immediately went on Ebay and purchased one and would never go without one again. I can filter, degas, bottle, and rack from the floor to my counter or horizintally.

What type of pump did you buy? Most of the ones I have found are either too pricey, or too cheap.

I also use vacuum for filtering. It's a gravity filter, but to stinking slow unless you put a vacuum in the bottle.

Here is the one I have which is a Contemporary 6260. Its not on here very ofet which is kind of funny cause I couldnt remember the name and didnt feel like going down stairs as my back is very bad at the minute due to an injection in my spine today. Other gteat pumps are Invacare, Gomco, and Schucco. They dont have to be new as the only thing that touches your wine is your racking hose and canes. I have the gravity filter also and yes it usually takes 45 minutes when using as is.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HOME-ASPIRATOR-...288?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5ef10668

Here is the one I have which is a Contemporary 6260. Its not on here very ofet which is kind of funny cause I couldnt remember the name and didnt feel like going down stairs as my back is very bad at the minute due to an injection in my spine today. Other gteat pumps are Invacare, Gomco, and Schucco. They dont have to be new as the only thing that touches your wine is your racking hose and canes. I have the gravity filter also and yes it usually takes 45 minutes when using as is.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HOME-ASPIRATOR-...288?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5ef10668

Very helpful info. Thanks for sharing this with me.

I'm soo smart, I've been on this site for about a month now and go to it 5 or 6 times a day. This morning I happened to notice some numbers on the lower right side of the replys and decided to click on em. Guess what, I've been missing all of the replys except the ones that are on the opening page. Goes without saying, I'm not a computer expert.

Semper Fi

I'm soo smart, I've been on this site for about a month now and go to it 5 or 6 times a day. This morning I happened to notice some numbers on the lower right side of the replys and decided to click on em. Guess what, I've been missing all of the replys except the ones that are on the opening page. Goes without saying, I'm not a computer expert.

Semper Fi

You're not alone. In fact, I still haven't seen what you are talking about. What number are you talking about?

Number

On the last reply to a post, at the bottom, on the right hand side there is a 1 2 3 ---after reading the first page to the last reply, click on 2, then go to 3. I glad to know I'm not the only one. Most folks on this site know all that stuff, us old folks aren't very computer smart.

Semper Fi

On the last reply to a post, at the bottom, on the right hand side there is a 1 2 3 ---after reading the first page to the last reply, click on 2, then go to 3. I glad to know I'm not the only one. Most folks on this site know all that stuff, us old folks aren't very computer smart.

Semper Fi
hey speak for yourself I may be older but I can do most anything on my computer...LOL oh and it's good to see a fellow tennessean on here, I may live in NC but I'm Tennessean forever

Some of these pumps are oil free and no mainetance unlike I believe winemaker 3352's. That one requires oiling and can spit out exhaust fumes and sometimes oil I am told even with brand new ones. I myself like the very quiet oiless ones that are made to run in hospitals without ant fumes.

Some of these pumps are oil free and no mainetance unlike I believe winemaker 3352's. That one requires oiling and can spit out exhaust fumes and sometimes oil I am told even with brand new ones. I myself like the very quiet oiless ones that are made to run in hospitals without ant fumes.

Yeah - it does take oil - fumes for the most part are not bad - if you add too much oil - watch out!! Trust me i know :h

It is probably loader than what wade uses - but my dad gave it to me - free is hard to pass up.

If i had to buy one - i would probably buy something along the lines that wade has. That being said - i really do like mine.

Free is a very nice price tag and for free Id be using it too!!!!!!

Found a cheaper solution

Harbor freight has a vacuum extension and hose with an attachment that connects to 1/2 inch tubing. I'm going to try it out with my older shop vac and see if it creates enough suction to rack the wine. I also use vacuum to filter my wine with my disc filter. Much better than gravity.

If it works, I'll post to the group. The attachment kit is only $9 - opposed to $99 to $150 for a used pump.

As long as you can keep it fairly air tight - it will work. But be careful b/c i know some shop vacs have an exhaust - and that could blow fine particles around that could eventually end up in the wine.

Do you have an air compressor - i think there are some attachments that work with an air compressor as well. would have to google a bit.

As long as you can keep it fairly air tight - it will work. But be careful b/c i know some shop vacs have an exhaust - and that could blow fine particles around that could eventually end up in the wine.

Do you have an air compressor - i think there are some attachments that work with an air compressor as well. would have to google a bit.

I have an airtight system. Been using a hand pump, but that is tiring. A venturi pump will work with a compressor, but the noise is too much. I'm hoping this will be a good solution, but you're right. I'll have to keep the dust away. I think my hose is long enough to keep behind the door. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

You could probably rack with a shop vac but it won't pull enough vacuum to degass. This was discussed before on another forum.

I use a Schuco medical aspirator I got on ebay.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUJ5rYeBR3w[/ame]

I have an airtight system. Been using a hand pump, but that is tiring. A venturi pump will work with a compressor, but the noise is too much. I'm hoping this will be a good solution, but you're right. I'll have to keep the dust away. I think my hose is long enough to keep behind the door. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

You know - i think you can go to Lowe's or HD and get another hose for you shop vac and attach it to your exhaust - and lead outside or away from your wine.

You could probably rack with a shop vac but it won't pull enough vacuum to degass. This was discussed before on another forum.

I use a Schuco medical aspirator I got on ebay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUJ5rYeBR3w

There's no way a shop vac can pull 15 - 20 in needed to degas. I have a bleeder for that and it works well. Maybe in the future I'll break down and buy a real vacuum pump :mny

Back