De-Gassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are right - but i bet it will pull enough vacuum that if left long enough it would do fine.

I once put a drilled bung on a carboy attached a siphon hose - used my mouth to create the suction and the clamped the hose - that degassed it. Hard as hell and i won't do it again :h - but my point is that it will work to some degree.

Can it pull as much as a vacuum pump - no - will it work if you don't want to spend $100 - $200 dollars on a vacuum pump - yeah - it is better than nothing IMO - unless you bulk age it and let nature do the rest.

Make sure you don't remove all of the CO2 as your wine will taste flat.

Really? First time I ever heard that one. Is that for all wines or just certain styles? Learn something new every day!

As for the vacuum pump, I use my wife's little freezer-bag food storage pump in combination with the stirrer-whip-erator. I stir first to get the bulk gas out, then use the pump. I try to hold a good vacuum until the bubbles have 90% stopped (5 - 10 minutes), then call it done.

You are right - but i bet it will pull enough vacuum that if left long enough it would do fine.

Can it pull as much as a vacuum pump - no - will it work if you don't want to spend $100 - $200 dollars on a vacuum pump - yeah - it is better than nothing IMO - unless you bulk age it and let nature do the rest.

It won't work. Someone on another forum measured the vacuum pulled by a shop vac and it was only 3". That's not nearly enough to vacuum degass. Vacuum cleaners are high volume / low pressure as opposed to the aspirator pumps which are low volume / high pressure.

Here's the post in question:
http://www.winepress.us/forums/inde...ump-degassing/page__view__findpost__p__396398

Yeah - however i did see on you tube where someone used a shop vac - it actually did alright.

Harbor freight has a vacuum extension and hose with an attachment that connects to 1/2 inch tubing. I'm going to try it out with my older shop vac and see if it creates enough suction to rack the wine. I also use vacuum to filter my wine with my disc filter. Much better than gravity.

If it works, I'll post to the group. The attachment kit is only $9 - opposed to $99 to $150 for a used pump.

The attachment worked like a champ. I racked 22 gallons of wine today and vacuum pumping made it so much easier - and quicker.

I didn't try degassing and probably won't. I'm thinking it would be too much strain on my shop vac to pull a hard suction for 20-30 minutes. I would hate to burn it out.

Here's the poor man's vacuum racking kit.
picture.php

My nine dollars wasn't wasted :db

Last edited:
Your shop vac probably wouldnt degas very well. It takes some good vacuum to do this but only liem 5" of vac to rack wine.

Your shop vac probably wouldnt degas very well. It takes some good vacuum to do this but only liem 5" of vac to rack wine.

I have a vac that will probably pull 10-15", but I don't want to stress it out for wine. I'll stick with the brake bleeder for now.

Back