DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what makes it blue? Pardon my ignorance.

Like I say, I have haven’t made this version yet, but I believe Blue Macaw was used just denote something tropical tasting/and for labeling, not the color…I would think this version would turn out rather clear/colorless…

It's turns out a beautiful golden color. It picks up the colors of the mangos, peaches and pineapples. I'm actually enjoying a glass as I'm typing this.

Here's a picture of it.

Last edited:
Here's a picture of it clearing next to a traditional batch of DB. I use 9-10lbs of fruit per 6 gallon batch btw.

1459886767531.jpg

Last edited:
This is what have in my DB notes that I've pruned from this thread over time. I haven't personally made this version yet....

We just call this Tropical DB. When I first read this I was thinking it had a blue color to it or something. We made a batch back in Dec. and yes it is real good.

Will

She spent last week cold crashing and today did a 2 pass P5 filter on her.

Gorgeous isnt she!

Very pretty.

I done my tropical a little differently, Instead of using the lemon juice or acid blend. I went with 2 48oz cans of Dole Pineapple juice. I also added 2 cans of White Grape Juice concentrate and 6 medium sized bananas. And needless to say as far as anyone knows in the future I poured this one out. Muhahahhaah

:b

Very pretty.

I done my tropical a little differently, Instead of using the lemon juice or acid blend. I went with 2 48oz cans of Dole Pineapple juice. I also added 2 cans of White Grape Juice concentrate and 6 medium sized bananas. And needless to say as far as anyone knows in the future I poured this one out. Muhahahhaah

:b

Have you tasted it yet? How is it? I'm planning a tropical with pineapple juice instead of lemon and also using golden raisins and bananas. Is it worth it? Did you still add tannins on top of the bananas?

I added no tanning, and the taste is amazing. It is still bulk aging but from what I see so far this could be my best DB variation yet. here is what I done:

2 48oz cans Dole Pineapple juice
6 lbs Tropical mix fruit (Pineapple, Papaya, Mango, Strawberry)
6 med size bananas (sliced 1/4" thick and not frozen)
2 cans White grape juice concentrate
20 cups Sugar
Yeast Nutrient to label directions
Yeast Energizer to label directions
Pectin Enzyme to label directions
Water to 6.5 gallons
Yeast will be Lalvin 71B-1122 because (A semi-dry white wine yeast
that will enhance fruit flavors and add fruity esters.
Can be used with whites, rosés, nouveaus, and concentrates.)

this gave me a SG of 1.094

I added no tanning, and the taste is amazing. It is still bulk aging but from what I see so far this could be my best DB variation yet. here is what I done:

2 48oz cans Dole Pineapple juice
6 lbs Tropical mix fruit (Pineapple, Papaya, Mango, Strawberry)
6 med size bananas (sliced 1/4" thick and not frozen)
2 cans White grape juice concentrate
20 cups Sugar
Yeast Nutrient to label directions
Yeast Energizer to label directions
Pectin Enzyme to label directions
Water to 6.5 gallons
Yeast will be Lalvin 71B-1122 because (A semi-dry white wine yeast
that will enhance fruit flavors and add fruity esters.
Can be used with whites, rosés, nouveaus, and concentrates.)

this gave me a SG of 1.094

Nice, that looks good. Thanks.

@dallase , she's gorgeous. But more importantly, how does it taste?!

The best 1mo old wine I've made so far. Has a bit of bite yet (~13%ABV 0.60TA 3.58PH), so I think another month or two to let it mellow out some more.

@Jericurl Been meaning to write you. I opened a bottle of the Christmas DB a couple weeks ago. Still have a couple left. It was awesome, still has that nice hint of anise hanging out in it. Still the best smelling and tasting I think of all the DB I have made. It is sitting at the 14 mo. old mark right now.
I can tell you it will probably be the only version I will continue to make as I have another recipe for a quick drinker that involves a lot less work than DB.

@Jericurl Been meaning to write you. I opened a bottle of the Christmas DB a couple weeks ago. Still have a couple left. It was awesome, still has that nice hint of anise hanging out in it. Still the best smelling and tasting I think of all the DB I have made. It is sitting at the 14 mo. old mark right now.
I can tell you it will probably be the only version I will continue to make as I have another recipe for a quick drinker that involves a lot less work than DB.
Would you mind sharing the recipe for your "quick drinker"? Henry

Would you mind sharing the recipe for your "quick drinker"? Henry

Sure thing and I have to give credit to ffemt128 (Mark) as that is who I received it from, if I remember correctly.

For a 2 gal. batch (adjust for different size accordingly)

15 oz. Real Lemon juice
8 oz. Real Lime juice
Sugar to 1.095
EC-1118 yeast
Nutrient - 1 1/2 tsp now, 1/2 tsp. at 1.050-1.060
1/4 tsp tannin, may have to adjust next time depending on your preferences
At around 1.020-1.030, add the 8 oz. Real Lime

Ferment in bucket down to below 1.000
Rack to carboy(s), let sit for 1 week or so to reach dry, .990-.994
Rack to carboy(s), add kmeta and SuperKleer, will be cleared in under a week. I usually let sit for 1-2 weeks to make sure all sediment has dropped.
Rack to carboy(s), add sorbate, sugar and 10-12oz. Old Orchard 100% juice concentrate.
Let sit for 1 week, bottle.
Can be drank right away or wait. I don't notice any real difference in aging this.
Also, my personal favorites for concentrates are Blueberry/Pomegranate, Cranberry and Strawberry Kiwi.

WineforFun::: Thanks for the recipe, I'll have to give it a try!!! GaBoy

@gaboy You're welcome. It is very straightforward and easy to make. 5-6 weeks to ferment, clear and bottle.................then consume..........repeat.

Not sure if it is from concentrate or not. Just the normal ones ya would get to drink that come in the metal can.

Here goes... I'm starting another variation tonight.

Replacing lemon with lime (2 440ml bottles). Fruit is a strawberry, peach, mango blend and I have about 8 lbs. Adding two liters of coconut water (brand O.N.E).

Fingers crossed! I'm going for a light tropical taste.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1460684637.973959.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back