DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I only have one 6 gallon carboy (and two 5 gallon carboys) and an 8 gallon fermenting bucket. My must is currently stable at 0.992 in my 6 gallon carboy but now I have to rack onto sorbate, et cetera.

My question is this: can I rack back into the fermenting bucket to degas, clean the 6 gallon carboy and then rack back into the 6 gallon onto sorbate? Or will oxygen be a problem if I do that?

My question is this: can I rack back into the fermenting bucket to degas, clean the 6 gallon carboy and then rack back into the 6 gallon onto sorbate? Or will oxygen be a problem if I do that?

Yes...work quickly and you will be fine. I rack quickly into a bucket, clean my carboy, then rack back all the time.

My question to you though is why are you needing to rack from secondary?

Usually I rack DB once, from primary into secondary, then do everything in that secondary container. Sometimes (though rarely) I will rack again just prior to bottling if my SuperKleer managed to drop out a ridiculous amount of sediment.

Yes, for easier degassing and because going out of town forced me out of my primary early (see my earlier posts for details).

So, I started the DB yesterday and added sugar till it reached 1.075. I waited basically 24 hours (till I got home from work) and squeezed the bag of fruit a bit more then stirred and took another sugar measurment. Instead of going up (based on sugars from the fruit) it actually went down to 1.067. (I haven't yet pitched the yeast as the directions say)

This is okay or expected? Because it wasn't for me. I'm about to pitch the yeast now (still sitting in the 100F water for 15 minutes) Should I add sugar to get it back to 1.075? Why would it have went down unless maybe natural yeast started banging away at the sugar?

My SG unexpectedly went up from 0.992 where it was for about a week, to 0.994 just now. Thought that was odd.

Does French oak work for the DB or is it better without it? I have a couple of 3 gallon carboys and some extra french oak that I bought for my Chardonnay. I was wondering if maybe I try to oak half of the batch like I'm doing the Chardonnay.

...also, maybe a bump to my last question (above) I am slightly concerned if I need to add more sugar to my batch.

I would add more period. Although it is preference, I like my DB to start off around 1.090-1.095.

As far as oak, Dave had tried some early on(and I followed his lead). If I recall, we used untoasted American. It really didn't do much for it. If you have the French left, I would set a gallon aside and oak it to see what you think.

Yes, a four degrees difference. I always forget that temperature matters.

I don't think 4 degrees would make that much change. Using the temp conversion table with my hydrometer, 4 degrees is only about 0.001 difference.
Maybe even less.
Did you spin the hydrometer before reading? Also, the first reading may have been taken immediately after pouring the sample . Entrained air would lower the reading.
Just some thoughts.

Yeah I didn't change anything. 4.5 cups in 6 gallons. Went to about 1.006

Flavour peaks at about three months, so you may just want to wait a little longer before opening your next bottle. I enjoy it most when it's Very cold.

I am going to start a batch of Dave's Sweet Strawberry Tart this week. I have been thinking about trying to make some of this carbonated but wanted to run my ideas by you all to see if my thought process is flawed. My plan is to make and ferment to dry per the recipe. Then for at least part of the batch, I will not add sorbate or sulfites and will let it set to naturally drop sediment. Once it has cleared a bit, I will backsweeten, with SUGAR-FREE DaVinci or Toriani syrup...the hardest part here may be trying to determine the proper sweetness level. Then I will prime and bottle in beer bottles. What do you think? If you think it would work, do you suggest using the same amount of priming sugar as you would beer? Thanks in advance for your input.

Valorie

I don't think 4 degrees would make that much change. Using the temp conversion table with my hydrometer, 4 degrees is only about 0.001 difference.
Maybe even less.
Did you spin the hydrometer before reading? Also, the first reading may have been taken immediately after pouring the sample . Entrained air would lower the reading.
Just some thoughts.

Spin the hydrometer?

I typically take a sample with a wine thief, then drop the hydrometer gently into the thief for a reading.

I use a wine thief as well, but spin it quickly as dropping it in with my thumb/index finger. Spinning helps remove the air bubbles that adhere to the hydrometer from dropping it in. The air bubbles may affect the reading slightly. Don't know if it would affect it as much as trying to guess where the meniscus of the wine is on the tiny scale!

Last edited:
I use a wine thief as well, but spin it quickly as dropping it in with my thumb/index finger. Spinning helps remove the air bubbles that adhere to the hydrometer from dropping it in. The air bubbles may affect the reading slightly. Don't know if it would affect it as much as trying to guess where the meniscus of the wine is on the tiny scale!

Aha, thanks for the tip!

Get a lab grade hydrometer with precise measure. There are 3 different ones. I like having this one

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/lab-grade-hydrometer-980-1-020.html

Seems useful. Thanks for the tip.

I am an avid DB maker and so excited I bought a new carboy! BUT It is a 7 gallon carboy - not a 6 gallon. Can't return it as I bought it several hours away from my house. Any suggestions????

I am an avid DB maker and so excited I bought a new carboy! BUT It is a 7 gallon carboy - not a 6 gallon. Can't return it as I bought it several hours away from my house. Any suggestions????

Put it on craigslist and take a small hit or suck it up and drive back. That's what I would do anyway but most people aren't as dumb as I am.

But if you are making dragon blood, you can make it to any volume you wish! Just ad 15% more of all the ingredients (except for yeast).

Back