DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone! I went the lesser amount of fruit since I'm making a smaller batch. Plus Wal-Mart only had one bag of this blend available until next week. Nearest Walmart is an hour away and I was impatient to get this going :) If this turns out as hoped I will stock up and bump up the amount of fruit on the next batch :)

"Fruit Salad" update

I pitched the Cotes du Blanc yeast Monday and it is fermenting nicely. More a "high simmer" than a "rolling boil". SG is at 1.01 today if I read the hydrometer correctly. The color is murky peach, but I imagine it will improve when it clears. The fragrance is pleasant, very fruity. Looking forward to this one. :h

Thank you!

Hi all, I just wanted to thank the folks who recommended this recipe to me. I'm new to wine making and my first try with Mulberries (See "problems with mullberry wine" thread) didn't turn out so well. Per the suggestions there I made a 2 gal batch of Dragons Blood exactly as the recipe called for and it was fantastic! Crisp and somewhat sweet, nice enough that I gave some as gifts. See my pic!

So I am thinking of trying a new variation - Using lime juice and frozen cherries - any thoughts how that will turn out?

dragonsblood.jpg

Thanks MrAtom, I guess I'll have to decide how much I like lime (which I am honestly quite fond of) maybe I'll do a lemon lime blend.

Thanks MrAtom, I guess I'll have to decide how much I like lime (which I am honestly quite fond of) maybe I'll do a lemon lime blend.

I did the lemon/lime blend with the Three Berry and it turned out great.

Will

About 1 week into a lemonade and strawberry db looks amazing smells even better, had a broken hydrometer when making it. ... didn't notice the Crack in it until adding to much sugar..... gonna be awfully alcoholic..... but oh well I'll rack it this coming weekend and give it a taste :)

Hello all, I'm on my first batch of DB and I can't get over how fast it's fermenting!
9/4 s.g =1.088
9/7 s.g.= 1.032

It will be done in no time at this rate! Pretty neat.

Hi all, I just wanted to thank the folks who recommended this recipe to me. I'm new to wine making and my first try with Mulberries (See "problems with mullberry wine" thread) didn't turn out so well. Per the suggestions there I made a 2 gal batch of Dragons Blood exactly as the recipe called for and it was fantastic! Crisp and somewhat sweet, nice enough that I gave some as gifts. See my pic!

So I am thinking of trying a new variation - Using lime juice and frozen cherries - any thoughts how that will turn out?

I had real good luck using lime juice. I made a variation of Dave's Tropical Daze and used lime juice instead of lemon juice.
I would certainly give the lime juice a try and then you can either a. not use it again if you don't like or b. dial back the amount used or add to it, if need be or c. you may like it.

I make a wine that I ferment Real Lemon and Real Lime juice into alcohol. Then rack on top of numerous variations such as cranberry or cherry or strawberry/kiwi, etc. All Old Orchard 100% juice concentrate.

Initiating my new 20 gallon brute primary with a 12 gallon batch of this wine. Will see how the BrewPi controlled freezer / fermentation chamber handles the larger volume container.

I had real good luck using lime juice. I made a variation of Dave's Tropical Daze and used lime juice instead of lemon juice.
I would certainly give the lime juice a try and then you can either a. not use it again if you don't like or b. dial back the amount used or add to it, if need be or c. you may like it.

I make a wine that I ferment Real Lemon and Real Lime juice into alcohol. Then rack on top of numerous variations such as cranberry or cherry or strawberry/kiwi, etc. All Old Orchard 100% juice concentrate.

How many cans of concentrate? Thanks...

How many cans of concentrate? Thanks...

If you are talking about the last part of my post(the lemon/lime juice ferment), then I use approx. 1 can per gal.
You have to experiment to get the flavor where you want it.

For me, I use 11oz. concentrate and between 1/4-3/8c sugar per gallon. It makes a semi-sweet finished product.

Has anybody tried Dave's recipe with fresh apple cider? I want to try making some apple wine from fresh cider.

If you are talking about the last part of my post(the lemon/lime juice ferment), then I use approx. 1 can per gal.
You have to experiment to get the flavor where you want it.

For me, I use 11oz. concentrate and between 1/4-3/8c sugar per gallon. It makes a semi-sweet finished product.

Yep that was it! Thanks!

@Ecam1234
I actually got this recipe from ffemt128(Doug) on here. I can give it to you via Message if you would like. I don't want to hijack the DB thread. I will say it is very straight forward and makes a great early drinker like DB. It is probably easier to make than DB plus it's ready to drink in approx. 1 mo. from pitching yeast. It gets a little better with some time in the bottle but nothing drastic.

Hello all, I'm on my first batch of DB and I can't get over how fast it's fermenting!
9/4 s.g =1.088
9/7 s.g.= 1.032

It will be done in no time at this rate! Pretty neat.

It was at .994 today. Squeezed the wine out of the fruit packs and discarded them. We'll see where it's at tomorrow.

Read through fifty some posts and figured I'd join the fun.
Making the original recipe. Only changes are: 30 oz. of the Realemon (store only carries 15oz. containers) and everything going into a 5 gallon carboy. If needed I'll adjust later with acid blend.
SG is 1.075 on the button.
Thinking about using Lalvin KI-V1116 after 24 hours.
This will be the largest batch of anything that I've made. Usually do 3 gallon batches.
Cheers!
Tony...

It was at .994 today. Squeezed the wine out of the fruit packs and discarded them. We'll see where it's at tomorrow.

This thing is at .990 today. It should be safe to proceed now right? Or should I wait the three days? Thanks....

Back