DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I would pull the fruit out after giving it one last squeeze. I'd then lock it down and wait about a week to take the next reading with the new hydrometer. If I got 0.998 or lower I'd move on to the next phase.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could get a near unbreakable plastic hydrometer? :db

Funny you say that…I didn’t say so, but I did pull the fruit this morning, after one last good squeeze…like I say, I have to be close or at that stage, figured it couldn’t hurt…

To all,
Remember to squeeze those bags with approx. 1 day lead time of racking to secondary or you will bring a ton of unwanted lees with you.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could get a near unbreakable plastic hydrometer? :db

Yes, but it would have to cost about $100 to make up for the lost profits from us constantly replacing broken hydrometers! LOL. So far I have only broken a hydrometer if I do not have a spare. Once I bought extras, none have broken (fingers crossed).

Got my first batch of DB in last night! Pitched some slurry of K1V-1116 that I just racked off. Also used a blend of strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.

ready to bottle

I started my mixed berry DB on 1/29. I racked to primary on 2/8. Added kmeta and potassium sorbate. Degassed and added super kleer. 2/22 racked off lees and added sugar and 3 cans mixed berry concentrate. 3/14 racked off lees again. The wine is now crystal clear and I am ready to bottle it. Do I need to add anything to the wine before bottling. I rinsed my bottles with kmeta and they are ready.

Mary Lou

You got to love pitching fresh slurry. I pitched about 6 hours ago and it's already rolling.

I started my mixed berry DB on 1/29. I racked to primary on 2/8. Added kmeta and potassium sorbate. Degassed and added super kleer. 2/22 racked off lees and added sugar and 3 cans mixed berry concentrate. 3/14 racked off lees again. The wine is now crystal clear and I am ready to bottle it. Do I need to add anything to the wine before bottling. I rinsed my bottles with kmeta and they are ready.

Mary Lou

How much flavor does the mixed berry concentrate add to the Dragon Blood?

How much flavor does the mixed berry concentrate add to the Dragon Blood?

I think it added a little flavor and the sugar helped too. It doesn't taste as tart as before the additions. But if 3 cans of concentrate were added to 6 gallons of water there wouldn't be much flavor so I'm thinking it didn't add a lot of flavor. I don't have any before wine to compare it to. The wine tastes great so all is good.

Mary Lou

When I did my version of "Dave's Strawberry Tart," I made juice from 2# strawberries,and added before sweetening. It gave the wine a distinct strawberry flavor right up front. With my regular strawberry wine, you taste the strawberries on the end. I wonder if it's the same when you add concentrate?

Mark

I was a little worried about my Sweet Strawberry Tart clearing after reading all of the comments but this is one day after adding SuperKleer! I did throw a bit of extra pectic enzyme in at the start and also added a product called Lallzyme C-Max...don't know if that was the difference but it is looking good so far :)

20150328_081550.jpg

I was a little worried about my Sweet Strawberry Tart clearing after reading all of the comments but this is one day after adding SuperKleer! I did throw a bit of extra pectic enzyme in at the start and also added a product called Lallzyme C-Max...don't know if that was the difference but it is looking good so far :)

It looks great! It seems to be clearing nicely. I have the Sweet Strawberry Tart on my "to do" list of wines. Strawberry season is coming up here in the south!

I am going on 8 weeks with my strawberry tart in the carboy and still not clearing or clearing very very very slowly. I racked and ran thru a 5 micron filter on sunday with very little lees on the bottom, this is after hitting it with a 3rd dose of clearing agent ( 2 super-kleer, 1 sparkalloid) and extra enzyme 2 weeks ago, smells great and tastes ok , very aromatic just not clearing- hope it wakes up and drops a ton cuz it still looks like fruit punch , anyone with suggestions plz feel free

Last edited:

Mary Lou

I had an extra 1 gallon of regular DB waiting to be bottled and I added 1/2 of a 12 oz can of mixed berry concentrate last night to do a taste test. Both wines are sitting at 3 wks since they were finished. The regular DB has less aroma and more lemon taste up front. The DB w the berry concentrate has a slightly stronger berry taste but the lemon taste was masked someone. I think I'm going to add the concentrate to about 1/2 of my batch before bottling to give me a fruitier variate. Thanks for putting the idea out there!

ImageUploadedByWine Making1427901403.324656.jpg I bottled my first batch of Dragon Blood! The bottle labeled Dragon Blood Bold has a Fpack in it for added flavor so it's slightly darker in color! I'm really pleased with the Dragon Blood Bold. I'm hoping another week will mellow the original a little more but it is good as it sits.

View attachment 21514 I bottled my first batch of Dragon Blood! The bottle labeled Dragon Blood Bold has a Fpack in it for added flavor so it's slightly darker in color! I'm really pleased with the Dragon Blood Bold. I'm hoping another week will mellow the original a little more but it is good as it sits.

Do you have a misprint on the regular label? March 2014?

Nice labels, I like the dragon.

I am going on 8 weeks with my strawberry tart in the carboy and still not clearing or clearing very very very slowly. I racked and ran thru a 5 micron filter on sunday with very little lees on the bottom, this is after hitting it with a 3rd dose of clearing agent ( 2 super-kleer, 1 sparkalloid) and extra enzyme 2 weeks ago, smells great and tastes ok , very aromatic just not clearing- hope it wakes up and drops a ton cuz it still looks like fruit punch , anyone with suggestions plz feel free

Our Strawberry Tart will be 7 wks. old this Friday. I used Super Kleer once and it did clear except the carboy had a bunch of lees on the bottom. Racked it again and sweetened it and now it's not clear after 6 days. So I guess for the next couple of weeks I will just wait to see if it clears again. I don't want to use any more Chems if I don't have to. This is my first time having a slow clearing experience. Keep us posted Cheesehead on how your batch is doing.

Will

Do you have a misprint on the regular label? March 2014?

Nice labels, I like the dragon.

Oops! Yes, I didn't change the label from the previous one, good catch, I haven't printed the rest yet, I'll change it. My computer was giving me grief yesterday!

Latest posts

Back