DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill,

This will just be a straight peach, no water, let it clear and bulk age for a year type of country wine.

One of the things that attracted me to try DB is the speed which is usually achieved. Wine making and bow hunting have taught me patience however, even though my carboys are full, my wine shelf is empty right now!

Will that peach wine be a DB variation or another recipe entirely?

I made a DB peach variation last time around. It came out okay but left plenty of room for improvement.

big blackberry

Recently bottled my Blackberry Dragon. I used a recipe from fabrictodyefor and made a few changes. I used a 96 oz can of Vintners harvest since "real " ones are not too good around here. I used 48 oz lemon juice and 11 cans of frozen grape juice. Water to 5 gallons. Plus the usual chemicals. Sweetened the starting SG to 1.090. Could have been a bit lower. The wine finished at 1.000 and ABV of 12.3%. I did backsweeten half to about 1.010 but probably prefer the drier version. It cleared great with sparkolloid. My "taste panel" agrees it is awesome.

Last edited:
I just started my first DB based on the original recipe which is also my first non-kit wine and just my 3rd wine to date. I am seeing large bubbles/foam in the primary. Is this normal? It is on the bottom of the pic. I searched and could not find a pic that looked similar. Thanks.

2ppel8j.jpg

What yeast did you pitch?
Some yeasts are notorious for that, I found that in some cases it could be a sign of stress in the yeast and it needs some nutrient (again, depending on yeast).

I used EC-1118. OG was 1.070 at 70*. The recipe was followed except for using 64oz of lemon juice. Stirred and squeezed daily. The pic is the 3rd day after pitching the yeast. Smells good and is fermenting. I will give it another stir and squeeze tonight an see if it looks the same tomorrow

I just opened my first bottle of straight blackberry dragon blood tonight and it's fantastic! I back sweeten 1 cup per gallon.

So what was the finishing SG and what did you end up with after sweetening???? Also,what was the ABV??
I did a Blackberry Dragon with Vintners Harvest fruit base. My end SG was 1.000 and ABV was 12.3. YUP! Awesome.:db

So what was the finishing SG and what did you end up with after sweetening???? Also,what was the ABV??
I did a Blackberry Dragon with Vintners Harvest fruit base. My end SG was 1.000 and ABV was 12.3. YUP! Awesome.:db

I started at 1.080, finished .998 for and abv of 11%. Sweetened to 1.02 i think it was around 1 cup of sugar per gallon. Added two bananas to must but I'm not sure it changed anything. It turned out great so i would probably do it again.

Thanks to everyone who helped me a week or so ago when my DB wasn't clearing (Val, Dave, Calvin, Pam & others). I had added the extra pectin enzyme but wasn't holding my breath after a few days with no change.

Well, I've been out Christmas shopping for the last five days with my family from out of town and came back to this beautiful site!

ImageUploadedByWine Making1415745334.481676.jpg

Now to rack off the lees that dropped and back sweeten, huzzah!

ImageUploadedByWine Making1415745391.532995.jpg

Thanks to everyone who helped me a week or so ago when my DB wasn't clearing (Val, Dave, Calvin, Pam & others). I had added the extra pectin enzyme but wasn't holding my breath after a few days with no change.

Well, I've been out Christmas shopping for the last five days with my family from out of town and came back to this beautiful site!

View attachment 18943

Now to rack off the lees that dropped and back sweeten, huzzah!

View attachment 18944

It looks lovely!!! My concord grape isn't wanting to clear either so I added some tannin (I didn't add any to begin with) and next I will add some more pectic enzyme. Patience is so hard when all you want to do is get it in the bottle and start tasting it...lol.

Mrs. Jones, that looks great! Nice color! Glad it cleared up for you. Pectin can be a pain sometimes. Those are the broken pectin protein chains gathered on the bottom, beautiful clear wine, above.

Varis, I've had problems with peach clearing. Let it sit. It may take some extra time. If it's not cleared up after a couple of weeks or so, you'll need to revisit this.

Mrs. Jones, that looks great! Nice color! Glad it cleared up for you. Pectin can be a pain sometimes. Those are the broken pectin protein chains gathered on the bottom, beautiful clear wine, above.

Varis, I've had problems with peach clearing. Let it sit. It may take some extra time. If it's not cleared up after a couple of weeks or so, you'll need to revisit this.

Thanks Dave, I will.....
Bill gave me a bottle of his peach DB he made recently and it was pretty clear in a short time.
I added a mango bag to the mix and back sweeten with a can of frozen white grape juice and simple syrup....:ft

Has anyone bottled this or Skeeter pee in pint mason jars? It would be a match to my apple pie.

I use to do some jars. Now, most of it goes in gallon jugs in the fridge. Less work for me!

Well that works too, I just wondered if there was any reason it needed to be in a corked bottle.

Hi friends. I want to giv a update on a tropical and blueberry that I added oak too. From a 6 gal batch I bottled 4 gals of each and made 2 1 gals of each. I added French oak to 1 and American oak to 1. I used oak chips with amount being 1/2oz which was close to a 1/4 cup. I just added chips straight to jugs. No soaking (there are different opinions on that but that's what I did). I left it sit for a month and racked off chips today. I think all 4 were great. It definitely put a different flavor in them and I can't even pick which one was the best. If poeple r looking for a new twist on the original try this I'm glad I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I add oak to all my batches of DB, now. I really like the rich woody flavor imparted by the untoast oak. I think it compliments the tart fruitiness very well. I agree, it is very much worth trying.

Latest posts

Back