DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out Dave's replies to Geek above regarding pectic haze...

So this might help in your case as well if you are suspecting pectic haze with yours.

As for adding a different clearing agent, from what I've heard/read/been told, it won't hurt anything.

If it were me, I might try a bit of pectic enzyme, give it a few days and then if it's still not clearing, try some SuperKleer.

Hey Val!

:u
Thanks for the advice; I really appreciate it! I racked last night as there was some sediment, and dosed with Pectic Enzyme (3 tsp/6 gallons as per Dave). It still looked dark this morning; but i'll give it a few days now before adding another clearing agent.

Well, looks like my 1st DB is off to a slow start. On the 2nd day I am only at 1.084 down from 1.090. But the temp in the house is cool and the wine is at 67* this morning. Also I usually make a yeast starter but this time I just followed the DB recipe with regards to yeast prep.

There is definitely something going on in there! And it smells great too

dragonbloodday2.jpg

Well, looks like my 1st DB is off to a slow start. On the 2nd day I am only at 1.084 down from 1.090. But the temp in the house is cool and the wine is at 67* this morning. Also I usually make a yeast starter but this time I just followed the DB recipe with regards to yeast prep.

There is definitely something going on in there! And it smells great too

Your ferment bucket looks very normal. As you said your temp is cool and your bucket looks good. Just keep up with the squeezing and stirring and take daily reading's. Continue with Danger Dave's process and you will be fine.

Will

Best yeast for the original recipe? 71b-1122. Or ec-1118. I'm starting a 12 gallon batch and will be pitching the yeast tomorrow. I have both on hand

What do you think?

Thanks in advance

@dangerdave

Dave, I was just wondering....kits make you back sweeten (when appropriate) right before adding fining agents.
Your recipe calls for back sweeten after fining agents and when wine is clear.

Have you tried doing it like kits do, any difference?

@dangerdave

Dave, I was just wondering....kits make you back sweeten (when appropriate) right before adding fining agents.
Your recipe calls for back sweeten after fining agents and when wine is clear.

Have you tried doing it like kits do, any difference?

Varis, The 4 DBs I've done were all back sweetened right after stabilizing agents and some stirring and just before clearing agents. Also, like the kits I've done the two clearing agents for my DB are added just minutes apart - after ~ 2-3 minutes of stirring in the first. My DBs have come out just fine with no negatives that I can detect.

Thanks Bill.

On my peach mango I stabilized and added clearing agent but didn't back sweeten.
Wine is not clear so adding more pectic enzyme and will see how it comes out and then will decide what to use to back sweeten.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Varis, guess it is the pectic haze that I've learned about here on the forum. About how long will it take for the enzyme to clear the wine?

I'll see and let you know, planning on adding it maybe tonight if time permits....on route to the city for another work assignment ...

Thanks Bill.

On my peach mango I stabilized and added clearing agent but didn't back sweeten.
Wine is not clear so adding more pectic enzyme and will see how it comes out and then will decide what to use to back sweeten.

Mine is not clearing either :(. I added more peptic enzyme a day and a half ago, but no change. If still nothing by the weekend I'm going to try a different clearing agent.

I agree with Calvin. I've read it can take a couple weeks. It usually has cleared in 6-9 days for me tho.

Pam in cinti

Agreed, wait out the enzyme a bit. There are only a few things that can cause a wine to not clear properly. Next in line after pectin haze would be insufficient degassing.

As for the yeats...I have done a yeast comparison study using those same yeasts on the DB recipe, here: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f86/yeast-comparison-ec-1118-vs-71b-1122-a-39619/

You can read for yourself what my conclusions were, but if you don't feel like reading it all, I liked the outcome of the EC-1118 the best.

Dave, wish I would have read your yeast comparison post before I started my 12 gallon batch. Oh well. Did you age a few bottles to see if you still liked the 1118 the best? Did you or James ever do a comparison with red star yeast?

Maybe your outcome will be more to your liking than mine, Calvin. We all have different taste, as you well know. I have used Red Star yeast before, with good results.

As for aging? I like my DB young. For me, the flavor seems to drop off after about six months. Those that I have saved over a year developed what I could only describe as a "spicey" taste. Not bad in any way, but not what I want in my DB. Not surprisingly, we don't have much problem drinking ours up fairly quickly.

... Not surprisingly, we don't have much problem drinking ours up fairly quickly.

Yeah, same here plus coming to only ~ $3.00 per bottle total for both hardware and software - and being so good - a lot of my bottles of DB are given away.

Hah! True that! My coworkers, bemoaning my impending retirement, are clambering about where their going to get free Dragon Blood!

I need to give some classes, I think. "Teach a man to fish..."

Dave, Your sweet strawberry tart is fantastic! It puts my island mist strawberry white Merlot to shame. I now know why you won the contest. Good news is we are all winners because the recipe is out there for everyone. I think my wife is really going to like it. I have a feeling I will be making lots of it!

Thanks again Dave

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back