DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great, Stan! It's gonna be delicious!

And you are very welcome! Thanks for posting!

Hey Kim. I cannot believe you have a bottle of DB that is going to 2yrs old in two months. Our 1st batch of which we have only one magnum bottle left is 8 Months old now. I was just tonight thinking of drinking it but now I think we will wait to see what you have to say about the taste of your 1st batch if an when you post it. We think our DB what ever the variation we are drinking at 3-4 months old is just great.

Will

Do you plan to open it sometime soon? Will you post back on how it now tastes? I do hope so.

Thanks...
Will definitely post reviews at the 2 year mark :db

I helped my wife make a concord DB using fresh grapes. We bottled it a couple weeks ago. I dont know exactly how many pounds of grapes we had but it was 4 one gallon ziplock bags after we picked them off the stems. We did freeze them. We also used the lemon juice but only 24 oz. We did some trials for back sweetening and my wife liked it best dry. So no backsweeten.

Last edited:
First batch of DB, I spent three days degassing (vacu vin and stirring combo) before adding sparkaloid and this is three days after that.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1414899790.994377.jpg

Just watching and waiting for it to clear....can't wait!

First batch of DB, I spent three days degassing (vacu vin and stirring combo) before adding sparkaloid and this is three days after that.

View attachment 18757

Just watching and waiting for it to clear....can't wait!

That's a great looking batch Mrs. Jones. We are getting ready to do our 2nd rack after clearing and will be back sweetening at that time. It is a Wyman's 3 berry blend (9lbs) with added strawberry's.

Will

Thanks Will! The strawberries sound like a great addition! I'm thinking huckleberry will be next for me.

Just curious what different types of Dragon Blood everyone has made? What has been your favorite? So gar I have made:

• Triple Berry
  • Tropical
  • Plum-Berry
  • Huckleberry
  • Elderberry
  • Blueberry
  • Blackberry (still clearing in the carboy)
  • Christmas Wine (this has figs, triple berry blend, tropical blend, cloves and star anise) (just started on Thursday)

I don't know if I have a favorite so far...they have all been wonderful :hug

Last edited:
Racked and back sweetened my first DB today. Some one tell me what to do with this half bottle of "overage"?ImageUploadedByWine Making1414962321.302083.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1414962356.412457.jpg

Way ahead of you MrsJones! I think me and you are close together with our batches . Mine cleared faster than the recipe said.

All three of my DB berry blends cleared in about two days or so.

I stabilized and added super kleer to my peach mango like 3 days ago and not showing much progress of clearing.

I bought this super kleer over a year ago and suspect and it now old and not working properly...grrrr

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I stabilized and added super kleer to my peach mango like 3 days ago and not showing much progress of clearing.

I bought this super kleer over a year ago and suspect and it now old and not working properly...grrrr

The batches that I have added plum to took forever to clear and I think that peaches may be another fruit that takes a while.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1414991739.680860.jpg

My "sweet strawberry tart". I followed Dave's contest winning instructions to a "T". I think I'll steal a taste before bottling. I hope I like it because I'm not sure what else I could do to make it awesome. Sure looks good though

Mines not clearing very quickly at all :( thinking u might have messed something up

That was meant to be 'thinking I might have messed something up.'

Has anyone else had an original DB that took longer than a few days to clear?

That was meant to be 'thinking I might have messed something up.'

Has anyone else had an original DB that took longer than a few days to clear?

Did you thoroughly degass? If you haven't, that can cause clearing issues. I believe I have also heard that if your temperature is too cool, it can delay clearing. That being said, I believe that I have had an original DB that took 4-5 days to clear completely.

Hey All,

Started my first batch of DB over the weekend. It is an original "triple berry" recipe with a few changes. I added two bananas. Also I think my nutrients were different strengths than listed in Dave's recipe so I followed the label which varied from the recipe a bit (not much though). I also went for a higher SG @ 1.090. I don't know why but my wines always seem to poop out at about 1.000. This way if the norm happens I'll get an abv of almost 12%. If it does go a bit higher I'm ok with that.

Pitched the yeast yesterday afternoon. By this morning there was a nice layer of foam on top. Yay! Should have taken a pic. Oh well, I'll take some along the way.

Cheers.
CE

PS. the starting PH was 2.97 which really surprised me. Seems pretty acidic (yes only 1 bottle of 48oz lemon juice). Is this in line with other batches?

Last edited:
Back