DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 1/3 cup of untoasted American oak in six gallons. I love the flavor it imparts to the DB. This is not in the recipe on-line, and only briefly mentioned in the pdf file. I call it the "Current Perfected Version". It's how I make mine. Everyone seems to find their own favored tweaks.

Dave,
  1. When do you add your oak?
  2. How long do you leave it in?
  3. What form is the oak in, i.e. spirals, chips, cubes, etc.?

Bob,

1) In the primary, at the very start (1/3 cup in six gallons)
2) The entire time in primary from start to finish
3) Untoast American Oak Powder

When you open the bag, it smells like they scooped it off the lumbermill floor.

So I have oak chips. Got my DB cleared and ready to bottle. Can I pull 1 gal out and bottled rest and with that 1 gal add chips? Is it too late in process. I think I'll add 1/2 cup to gallon. Your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

1/2 a cup to a gallon seems like a lot to me. I use one cup per 6 gallons. But I just started using oak myself. Others may chime in here

How are you going to put chocolate in DB?

I'm not sure...

Either adding dutched cocoa powder to the primary or just using a chocolate flavoring at the time of back sweetening. I made a chocolate strawberry which the cocoa powder was added to the primary. I haven't used a flavoring. The strawberry chocolate was left to clear for 1 year on it's own though, not sure how fast the powder would clear with sparkalloid in a short time frame for DB. Might go with the flavoring... Maybe a good Wine of the Month trial.:?

I'm interest in making this wine but have only don't kits so far so I sent an email to my local wine shop and asked if they have both yeast nutrient and energizer and got the following response:

"Thanks for your inquiry. We carry Yeast Nutrient. You do not need both for one recipe, they are virtually the same thing."

Is there any validity to what they said? I'm not sure where to get energizer if they don't have it.

Thanks!

I'm interest in making this wine but have only don't kits so far so I sent an email to my local wine shop and asked if they have both yeast nutrient and energizer and got the following response:

"Thanks for your inquiry. We carry Yeast Nutrient. You do not need both for one recipe, they are virtually the same thing."

Is there any validity to what they said? I'm not sure where to get energizer if they don't have it.

Thanks!

They should have it. If not you can always find it online. I just follow Dave's recipe and it turns out good. You could probably get away without it. But why take the risk of you don't have too

So I have oak chips. Got my DB cleared and ready to bottle. Can I pull 1 gal out and bottled rest and with that 1 gal add chips? Is it too late in process. I think I'll add 1/2 cup to gallon. Your thoughts.

Try it and check it from time to time - if it is too oaky you can always open a bottle or 2 and dilute it prior to bottling. It is never to late to oak your wine - it is by personal preference.

Labelpeelers has been great to me in the past. Best prices I can find on kits anywhere

Is there a curtain amount of time that the oak is done working?

I'm going to try the Oak chips in the new 3 berry with added strawberry's in the batch that is just starting to see if we like it. I couldn't find the powder but I believe the American Oak chips will do.

Will

Oak is another one of those "to your taste" subjects. I've added too much (for me) before. That's how I know how much to add for my own preference. Different oaks and toasts will impart different flavors and aromas to different kinds of wine. But you still have to try different ones to see what works for you.

Thanks for oak input. I'm gonna try a couple different batches this weekend.

Bottled my Lemon Peach (LP) DB wine this afternoon. Had about 8 oz. left after filling and corking 30 bottles. My wife Janet and I shared the partially chilled wine before dinner. I felt it was okay but Janet thought it better than that, she really liked it. If I do another it will be with a few more pounds of peaches (I used ~14 lbs.) and about half the lemon (I used 48 oz.) or maybe none at all but use acid blend instead. Best part is that it is drinkable and I wouldn't be embarrassed to give to family and friends to try.

Bill,

I remember using 48oz of lemon juice on my 1st one and then cut back to 24 or 32oz, can't remember.

Did you make it to 5gal at the begining?

Bill,

I remember using 48oz of lemon juice on my 1st one and then cut back to 24 or 32oz, can't remember.

Did you make it to 5gal at the begining?

No, 6 gallons.

The more I sipped it the more I liked it. However, got distracted and didn't finish the glass while it was still chilled. When I came back to the glass and finished what was left it didn't taste good room temperature. Something about most whites and pinks I've tried - they're generally okay chilled but to me not so nice room temperature. Love the big reds room temperature.

Latest posts

Back